OnChange Event

dthmtlgod

When a user changes the value in a select statement, I would like to update
the recordset using a onchange event.
Could someone please point me in the right direction? Would like to stay
away from forms if possible.

<select style="width: 200px; font-size: 10px;" name="selStat" size="1">
<option value="<% = rs("Status") %>"><% =rs("Status") %></option>
<option value="CLOSED">CLOSED</option>
</select></td>

sql="UPDATE dbE SET Status = 'CLOSED' WHERE EMAILid = 25"

Bob Barrows [MVP]

dthmtlgod said:
When a user changes the value in a select statement, I would like to
update the recordset using a onchange event.
Could someone please point me in the right direction? Would like to
stay away from forms if possible.
Then you're outside the realm of asp. You need to ask this question in a
remote scripting or client-side scripting newsgroup.

Bob Barrows

Phill. W

dthmtlgod said:
When a user changes the value in a select statement,

.... by which you mean HTML "select" form field ...
I would like to update the recordset using a onchange event.

Where is the recordset? Your server-side ASP.
Where is the HTML field? In the client browser.

The *only* way to move data between to two is to submit the form
data to the web server and process it there (indeed, once the HTML
page has been delivered to the client browser, the ASP's recordset
won't even exist!).
Would like to stay away from forms if possible.
Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Forms /are/ the way to go with this.

HTH,
Phill W.

CJM

Phill. W said:
The *only* way to move data between to two is to submit the form
data to the web server and process it there (indeed, once the HTML
page has been delivered to the client browser, the ASP's recordset
won't even exist!).

As Bob hinted at, you can use other techniques such as Remote Scripting/XML
Data Islands to achieve this, but (as Bob said) it's outside the scope of
this group.
Forms /are/ the way to go with this.

Forms are needed either way - a full server round-trip can be avoided
depending on what approach you choose.

Chris