onclick on option not working on IE or safari

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by James Black, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. James Black

    James Black Guest

    I have a select box that uses onclick on each option tag.

    This works fine in firefox, but not in IE or Safari.

    I don't know if I should use onblur for each option.

    I don't want to use onchange for the select, as I want any of the
    options selected to be reacted to.

    The user is selecting for one one of three dates (start of semester,
    end of semester, use calendar). I could just put a blank option as the
    default option, so that the other three options will fire onchange.

    I am hoping that someone can help me to better understand how to
    approach getting this to work properly.

    Thanx.

    James Black, Apr 12, 2006

  2. James Black

    RobG Guest

    James Black said on 12/04/2006 12:34 PM AEST:
    > I have a select box that uses onclick on each option tag.
    >
    > This works fine in firefox, but not in IE or Safari.
    >
    > I don't know if I should use onblur for each option.

    Don't do that. Put the onclick on the select and look at the selected
    option - it may require additional work for a multiple select.

    [...]

    --
    Rob
    Group FAQ: <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/FAQ>

    RobG, Apr 12, 2006

  3. James Black

    James Black Guest

    I will try that in the morning.

    I didn't think about putting the onclick on the select box. Thank you.

    Thankfully it is just a single-select, so it shouldn't be too much
    coding. :)

    James Black, Apr 12, 2006
  4. James Black

    RobG Guest

    James Black said on 12/04/2006 12:42 PM AEST:
    > I will try that in the morning.
    >
    > I didn't think about putting the onclick on the select box. Thank you.
    >
    > Thankfully it is just a single-select, so it shouldn't be too much
    > coding. :)

    You should also check how it behaves if keyboard navigation is used -
    tab to select, up/down arrow to modify.

    RobG, Apr 12, 2006