onClose question...

Mel

when the user goes to my site, and them closes the window, using "X" window
decoration, i would like to log him out

is it possible to add an onClose to current window ? is so how ?

sample code is appreciated as always

many thanks

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
when the user goes to my site, and them closes the window, using "X" window
decoration, i would like to log him out

is it possible to add an onClose to current window ? is so how ?

sample code is appreciated as always

many thanks

It's absolutely impossible to have a reliable information about the user
leaving your site. The only way to go is to observe his activity on the
server, and to log him out after a timeout. Depending on the platform
your server runs on, there may be built-in functions doing that.

Laurent

Mel

i guess i did not pose the question correctly.

what i mean is i need a callback when the browser is closed from window
manager
then i can do the rest !

thanks,
Mel

Randy Webb

Mel said:
i guess i did not pose the question correctly.

You posed it properly, you just did not read the answer properly.
what i mean is i need a callback when the browser is closed from window
manager

You have no reliable way to know that. How do you propose to have my
browser send a message to a server if my power fails? Or, if I just turn
it off? Or, if I have scripting disabled?
then i can do the rest !

Then do it, and without depending on the client.

Grant Wagner

So you're proposing a solution that results in an alert() that says
"Thank you for your Visit" every time I navigate from one of the pages
on his site to another page on his site?

That's not a very nice way to treat people who come to your site.