One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview1 is available!

Curt Hibbs

One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview1 is available!

*NOTE* Please wait for the RubyForge mirrors to synchronize before
trying to download.

*WARNING* This preview release for Windows is incomplete. Please read
below to find out what is missing, and don't install this if that is
not usable for you.

This is a preview release of the One-Click installer for Ruby version
1.8.4. It should be usable for most people, but it is missing a few
things that will be fixed before the final release:

- DBI: (database interface library) is not included.

- XMLParser: This C-based XML parser (which is an
interface to the Expat parser) is not included
(REXML, the pure Ruby XML parser, *is* included).

- If you levave "Enable RubyGems" selected, the RUBYOPT
environment variable is set to "rubygem" instead of
having having "rubygems" added to the RUBYOPT value
(similarly, uninstalling, deletes the RUBYOPT env.
variable).

- Uninstalling does not remove the start menu items.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Starting with this release, I have completely rewritten the build
system for the One-Click Installer while I repeated the mantra:
simplify, simplify, simplify... This should make it easier to release
future versions of the One-Click installer more quickly. Of course,
its possible that this could introduce new problems, so please report
them here:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?group_id=3D167&atid=3D715

Of course, the big change for this release is that it uses Ruby 1.8.4.
The One-Click installer is now uses ruby-mswin32 and adds additional
extentions and applications. This means that all extension provided by
ruby-mswin32 are in the One-Click Installer. You can read about
ruby-mswin32 here:

http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

Everything has been compiled with MS VC++ 6.0.

Here are some other notable changes:

* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
are based on the Scintilla code editor component, but Notepad++
is a little more full featured and supports editing multiple
files in separate tabs.

* FreeRIDE (the Free Ruby IDE) has been updated to 0.9.5 and now
features real project support.

* FXRuby has been upgraded to 1.4.3 (final release will include
1.4.4). This also, still includes FXRuby 1.2.6 for those programs
that still require the older version. Both are included as
preinstalled RubyGems.

Below are the release notes.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Ruby Installer for Windows
Ruby Version 1.8.4
Installer Version 184-16
------------------------------
RELEASE NOTES
------------------------------

Contents: Version:
-------- --------

ruby-mswin32 1.8.4
zlib-lib 1.2.1
ZLib 0.6.0
RubyGems 0.8.11
Rake 0.7.0
RubySrc 1.8.4
FXRuby 1.2.6
FXri 0.3.2
FreeRIDE 0.9.5
Notepad++ 3.4
FXRuby 1.4.3
OpenGL 0.23b
GLUT 3.7.6
SWin 040314
VRuby 040306
Expat 1.95.8
HTMLParser 19990912p2
log4r 1.0.5
Programming Ruby 1st Edition
OpenSSL 0.9.7b-1
Iconv 1.8
readline 4.3-2
PDCurses 2.60-1
GDBM 1.8.3-1
Installer-Patches 1.8.4

1. You can install overtop of an existing installation that has
the same Ruby major version number (e.g., 1.6). Installations
up to and including 1.6.5-1 can only be uninstalled. All versions
can co-exist peacefully (DLL's willing) in separate directories.

2. This version was compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, not Cygwin.
As a result, some I/O functionality -- particularly those involving
the Unix fork() system call and pipes -- will not work. The benefit
of using MSVC is to have a more stable and reliable version of Ruby.

Reporting Bugs
--------------

Bugs in Ruby itself should be e-mailed to (e-mail address removed).

Bugs in the installer should be reported at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=3D715&group_id=3D167&func=3Dbrowse

Make sure your problem has not already been reported, then click
on "Submit New" to create a new bug report.

Disclaimer
----------

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

Credits:
--------

Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a Matz <[email protected]> created
Ruby in the first place.

Andy Hunt <[email protected]> did the original packaging
of this installer using the Nullsoft installer (www.nullsoft.com).

Curt Hibbs <[email protected]> has been maintaining the one-click
installer since it moved to RubyForge.org in early 2004.

Dave Thomas <[email protected]> translated
the original LaTeX of "Programming Ruby" into XML
and arranged its release under the Open Publication License.

Bernard Delm=E9e <[email protected]> created the Windows Help
version of our "Programming Ruby" book.

Martin Ankerl <[email protected]> created fxri, a GUI
interface to the ri documentation database.

Martin DeMello <[email protected]> created fxirb, a GUI
version of Ruby's console based irb (interactive ruby). fxirb
is incorporated into Martin Ankerl's fxri.

Lyle Johnson <[email protected]> ported and provides the
FXRuby GUI extension.

Dirk Meijer

------=_Part_13234_12745525.1138607713390

whoa!
thanks a whole lot!
just one thing though..
* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
are based on the Scintilla code editor component, but Notepad++
is a little more full featured and supports editing multiple
files in separate tabs.

the new SciTE editor does have seperate tabs, and i really prefer it over
Notepad++, but i guess this would be considered unnescesairy criticism, so
never mind :)

print "thanks!" * 1000

greetings, Dirk.

------=_Part_13234_12745525.1138607713390--

Pavel Sokolov

Curt said:
* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
are based on the Scintilla code editor component, but Notepad++
is a little more full featured and supports editing multiple
files in separate tabs.

My 2 copecks:
Removing # before line "tabbar.visible=1" in SciTEGlobal.properties
turns tabs on. I still use the tabs in SciTE from year-old One-Click
Ruby Installer 182-15 =)

Still, many thanks for your works.

Gheers,
Pavel

Edwin van Leeuwen

* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
the new SciTE editor does have seperate tabs, and i really prefer it
over
Notepad++, but i guess this would be considered unnescesairy criticism,
so
never mind :)

If the differences in functionality between scite and notepad++ are
minor then I would suggest keeping scite, because it is also available
for other OSes. That way people who work on both platforms can easily
switch between, but keep their favourite editor.

gabriele renzi

Dirk Meijer ha scritto:
the new SciTE editor does have seperate tabs, and i really prefer it over
Notepad++, but i guess this would be considered unnescesairy criticism, so
never mind :)

even the old included one did, they were just disabled by default
print "thanks!" * 1000

1000.times {print "thanks from me too!"}

gonchuki

Edwin said:
If the differences in functionality between scite and notepad++ are
minor then I would suggest keeping scite, because it is also available
for other OSes. That way people who work on both platforms can easily
switch between, but keep their favourite editor.

same opinion here, i usually go back and forth from windows to linux and
it proved to be handy to use the same editor in both platforms.

Dirk Meijer

------=_Part_2839_30406894.1138631662918

hi,
just downloaded the preview and tried out notepad++, and now i'm really sur=
i'll continue to use SciTE, i use cmd.exe on Windows XP, and when i want to
quickly edit a program, i type "scite *.rb" and all ruby programs are opene=
in seperate tabs of the same SciTE editor.. Notepad++ can't do this, and i
believe the version of the SciTE editor that came with 1.8.2-15 also
didn't...
greetings, Dirk.

------=_Part_2839_30406894.1138631662918--

Curt Hibbs

whoa!
thanks a whole lot!
just one thing though..

the new SciTE editor does have seperate tabs, and i really prefer it over
Notepad++, but i guess this would be considered unnescesairy criticism, s= o
never mind :)

Well, I suppose that I should have checked out the new version of SciTE fir=
st.
print "thanks!" * 1000

You're welcome.

Curt

Curt Hibbs

If the differences in functionality between scite and notepad++ are
minor then I would suggest keeping scite, because it is also available
for other OSes. That way people who work on both platforms can easily
switch between, but keep their favourite editor.

These are good points, I'll check out the new SciTE (as I should have
done in the first place).

Curt

gabriele renzi

Dirk Meijer ha scritto:
hi,
just downloaded the preview and tried out notepad++, and now i'm really sure
i'll continue to use SciTE, i use cmd.exe on Windows XP, and when i want to
quickly edit a program, i type "scite *.rb" and all ruby programs are opened
in seperate tabs of the same SciTE editor.. Notepad++ can't do this, and i
believe the version of the SciTE editor that came with 1.8.2-15 also
didn't...

it does, even if it is not the latest scite release, I think

Damphyr

...Lots of pro-Scite comments...
These are good points, I'll check out the new SciTE (as I should have
done in the first place).
Yes do it please. The thing about multiple-tabs in Scite is that it's
set in a property and up until 1.67 it was set to 0 (which meant one
single file viewed per instance). Now it's set to 10 (might surprise a
few people if they open 11 files and end up with only ten tabs).
Scite is unbeatable in simplicity and speed. I actually found out about
it from the one-click installer but I have long since gone directly to
the source so to speak.
Yeap, Scite is definitely a better solution than Notepad++
Keep up the good work Curt (and don't let anyone hassle you about a
1.8.4 final release :) ).
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

Adam Sanderson

Thank you so much for your work on the one click installer. It makes
using ruby in my office feasible, which makes me sane(ish).

Compiling binaries for windows though is always painful for me though,
is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to get various
extensions to compile with the MS compiler?

.adam
(ps: scite saves lives!)