One codebase, multiple configs?

Jon

Is it possible to have a single site directory with all the aspx files and
the bin directory, then have several other directories that hold customized
images and web.config file for each customer?

So, the directory stucture would be like:

1 - MainDir
a - Bin
1a - site.dll
b - index.aspx
c - page2.aspx
2 - Customer1Dir
a - images
1a - customimage.jpg
b - web.config
3 - Customer2Dir
a - images
1a - customimage.jpg
b - web.config

etc....

Essentially, our customer has about 15 copies of our site running for their
various customers and currently each one has its own, completely separate
folder with all the site files in it. They would like a way to combine the
aspx pages and the bin directories into one so that they only have to update
one set of files when we release updates, etc, but still be able to keep
separate web.config files for different connect strings and site options.
This wasn't too bad to do in regular asp, but I'm having trouble figuring
how it would work with ASP.Net (we're using 1.1, having moved production
stuff to 2.0 yet).

Thanks for any ideas.

sirfunusa

Perhaps instead of using multiple web.config files, store the user/site
settings in a common database.

Jon

So, you're saying to just have a bunch of virtual directories in IIS all
pointing to the same real web directory. Then, based on the directory the
user accessed the site at, look up the various config data from a common
database? I think that would work, too. Thanks