One fixed....new snag to contend with

Richard

http://geocities.com/r_bullis/test3.html

I've managed to get to this point.
Problem is, I get an error saying that an item is not defined as an object.
When clicked on, the link should activate the first layer and does not.
I'm just following what the original script was using.
Could be a simple placement of the division tag.

Any ideas on how to correct appreciated.

Richard

Richard said:
I've managed to get to this point.
Problem is, I get an error saying that an item is not defined as an
object. When clicked on, the link should activate the first layer and does
not. I'm just following what the original script was using.
Could be a simple placement of the division tag.
Any ideas on how to correct appreciated.

Found out I didn't end the script tag properly which caused the error.
Still does not move the new layer into the window.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
Richard wrote:

Found out I didn't end the script tag properly which caused the error.
Still does not move the new layer into the window.

Have you even tried validating this? Or, try running it in FireFox.
FireFox instantly tells you that there's an object missing in it's
JavaScript console. There's something badly wrong with your scripts.

Validate your code. Test it in a modern browser that has a proper
javascript console (like FireFox).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Richard

Have you even tried validating this? Or, try running it in FireFox.
FireFox instantly tells you that there's an object missing in it's
JavaScript console. There's something badly wrong with your scripts.
Validate your code. Test it in a modern browser that has a proper
javascript console (like FireFox).

Beleive it or not, my latest local version actually validates!

So somewhere I've got a variable that ain't working right.

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.
Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

rf

Richard said:
SpaceGirl wrote:

Beleive it or not, my latest local version actually validates!

So somewhere I've got a variable that ain't working right.

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.
Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

And you wonder why nobody is paying any bloody attention to you?

Hywel Jenkins

Beleive it or not, my latest local version actually validates!

So somewhere I've got a variable that ain't working right.

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.

RTS, you still have no idea, do you? Please explain why Firefox is an
IE look alike.

Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?

You mean like the Mozilla Foundation has done?

But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?

What are you wittering on about Stupid?

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
Beleive it or not, my latest local version actually validates!

So somewhere I've got a variable that ain't working right.

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.

Uh FireFox is the best renderer on the market and nothing at ALL like IE.

Tabbed browsing, plugins, the fastest and most accurate rendering engine
out of all of the browser, built in popup blacking (which IE then
copied). Plus, the web developers plugin - which your obviously not
using. Seriously, try it - you wont even swtich back. FF is no flash in
the pand - IE is looking about .5% a month to FF.

Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?

Such as? We're just talking browsers here. The market will only take so
much innovation.
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.

Mozilla Org (FireFox) have to compete with IE. Better to design
something users are familia with rather than reinventing the wheel.
People are frightened of change.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

FireFox has lots of inovative features. IE does nothing other than
browse, and it does THAT really badly (the slowest of the browsers, the
one that least respects the standards, the one with the most rendering
engine bugs, the one that has to be patched once a month because of
security scares).

You really need to expand on what you meant, because sound slike you're
trolling a bit, or simply haven't tried FF.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Hywel said:
RTS, you still have no idea, do you? Please explain why Firefox is an
IE look alike.

You mean like the Mozilla Foundation has done?

What are you wittering on about Stupid?

He means the little spinning logo in the top right hand corner. What he
totally misses is that back in the early 90s, Netscape (who spawned
Mozilla and the whole open source browser market) had their little logo
spinning in the top right corner YEARS before Micorosft even HAD a web
browser. If anyone copied anyone it was Microsoft, but now FF is here
and IE is looking pretty weak.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Disco Octopus

Richard expressed precisely :
Beleive it or not, my latest local version actually validates!

So somewhere I've got a variable that ain't working right.

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.
Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

this post really makes you look a bit stupid richard.

Travis Newbury

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.
Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

.... I don't know about the Bill Gates conspiracy theory. I think it is
the Luxenbourgians. I have been keeping my eye on these guys! Yea,
there small, and they don't have an army per se. But you have to admit,
they are sneaky little bastards.....

Kris

Firefox? Oh please. Not yet another IE look alike.
Can somebody please design something NEW and innovative for a change?
But perhaps you didn't notice that cute little windows logo when you have it
open huh?
Looks like Bill Gates and company is trying to enter the real world of
surfing.
As usual, with "stolen" goods.

... I don't know about the Bill Gates conspiracy theory. I think it is
the Luxenbourgians. I have been keeping my eye on these guys! Yea,
there small, and they don't have an army per se. But you have to admit,
they are sneaky little bastards.....[/QUOTE]

Have you ever seen Monaciis or Andorrans in battle?

Richard

SpaceGirl said:
He means the little spinning logo in the top right hand corner. What he
totally misses is that back in the early 90s, Netscape (who spawned
Mozilla and the whole open source browser market) had their little logo
spinning in the top right corner YEARS before Micorosft even HAD a web
browser. If anyone copied anyone it was Microsoft, but now FF is here
and IE is looking pretty weak.

--

No I do not mean the spinning logo.
Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.

When MS introduced IE, a man sued MS for literally stealing his idea.
He named his tool IE and MS ran with it literally.
As I recall, there was a settlement reached out of court.

McKirahan

[snip]
No I do not mean the spinning logo.
Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.
Do you see the start button?
Do you see the little windows logo?
If firefox is not a microsoft product, then why does it use the same logo in
the same tray when you have it open?

[snip]

Are you talking about the Start button?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

SpaceGirl said:
He means the little spinning logo in the top right hand corner.

What he may mean is something I just saw mentioned in another group -
that Firefox will display the default 'flying windows' icon at the
left of the titlebar instead of the Firefox icon. It may be a bug in
the installer.

Apparently, it only does this on some installations when the OS is 98
or ME. There was a fix mentioned, adding folders and stuff in the
profile tree.

Dylan Parry

Richard said:
Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.

Yes, looking there right now.
Do you see the start button?

On this machine[1], yes.
Do you see the little windows logo?

Again, on this machine yes.
If firefox is not a microsoft product, then why does it use the same logo in
the same tray when you have it open?

Erm, what are you talking about? *Where* does FF use the Windows logo?
The start button isn't part of FF, so it can't be that that you are
talking about, surely? The only logos that I can see that FF have used
anywhere are little blue spheres with a fox curled around them and a
little circle made up of smaller green circles... can't see the Windows
logo anywhere.

__________
[1] On my other machines that I use FF on, I don't see any start buttons
or Windows logos anywhere as they are running Linux.

Hywel Jenkins

Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.

I'm looking.
Do you see the start button?
Yes.

Do you see the little windows logo?
Yes.

If firefox is not a microsoft product, then why does it use the same logo in
the same tray when you have it open?

The Start button has nothing to do with open applications, RTS,
Microsoft or otherwise.
When MS introduced IE, a man sued MS for literally stealing his idea.
He named his tool IE and MS ran with it literally.
As I recall, there was a settlement reached out of court.

You have now powers of recollection, though, do you, RTS, you prick?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:
What he may mean is something I just saw mentioned in another group
- that Firefox will display the default 'flying windows' icon at
the left of the titlebar instead of the Firefox icon. It may be a
bug in the installer.

Apparently, it only does this on some installations when the OS is
98 or ME. There was a fix mentioned, adding folders and stuff in
the profile tree.

Here's the fix from that other group. Thank you, Lee.

<quote>
This is an ME/98 issue only, doesn't show up in NT/XP.

In the profile chrome folder, you will need to create a folder called
icons, and a subfolder called default, if they are not already there.
Then you need to place an icon in the icons\default folder, named
main-window.ico.

Place the default Firefox [16x16] icon here:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome\icons\default

icons\default you will {probably) have to create.

Open FF and the main window icon and the taskbar icon will be changed.

Note that if you uninstall/reinstall, as when upgrading to a new
version, you will have to replace these folders and file, so back it up.
</quote>

Here is a copy of the icon file:
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bshagnasty/images/main-window.ico