One fixed....new snag to contend with

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
No I do not mean the spinning logo.
Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.
Do you see the start button?
Do you see the little windows logo?
If firefox is not a microsoft product, then why does it use the same logo in
the same tray when you have it open?

When MS introduced IE, a man sued MS for literally stealing his idea.
He named his tool IE and MS ran with it literally.
As I recall, there was a settlement reached out of court.

You're mad. :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Greenaway

In alt.html Dylan Parry said:
Erm, what are you talking about? *Where* does FF use the Windows logo?
The start button isn't part of FF, so it can't be that that you are
talking about, surely? The only logos that I can see that FF have used
anywhere are little blue spheres with a fox curled around them and a
little circle made up of smaller green circles... can't see the Windows
logo anywhere.

I think he means the the logo that gets showed in the taskbar button for
every instance of FF:
http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/pics/screen.jpg

And all this time I thought it was just my system doing that!

Dylan Parry

Steve said:
I think he means the the logo that gets showed in the taskbar button for
every instance of FF:
http://www.engsoc.org/~macfisto/pics/screen.jpg

Ah, well that's a generic icon that is shown for *any* program if its
own icon cannot be found by the system. Obviously there is a bug in FF
where the icons are not being shown correctly in Windows 98/ME. I'd
assume, as they are totally different OSes, that the bug doesn't show
itself in 2000 or XP.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Steve said:
... and immediately after posting I found the reason further in the
thread. Shucks.

Thank you. I was beginning to think my posts weren't propagating. ;-)

Steve Greenaway

Time to upgrade, perhaps? :)

Heh. Do *you* want to pay for it? ;) Actually, this particular
installation of 98SE is probably the most stable OS I've used yet.
I'm rather loathe to modify it.

Leif K-Brooks

Richard said:
Look to the very bottom left corner of your screen.
Do you see the start button?
Do you see the little windows logo?
If firefox is not a microsoft product, then why does it use the same logo in
the same tray when you have it open?

I've been literally rolling around on the floor laughing for the past
few minutes. You should go into the comedy business!

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Leif K-Brooks scribbled in the mud:
I've been literally rolling around on the floor laughing for the past
few minutes. You should go into the comedy business!

Poor Richard, nobody takes him serious. :(

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Heh. Do *you* want to pay for it? ;) Actually, this particular
installation of 98SE is probably the most stable OS I've used yet.
I'm rather loathe to modify it.

No, but if you're running 98 and online you're just asking for trouble.
But, I guess your machine would be to slow for XP. There is a BIG
difference in stability between the two - XP is practically bomb-proof
on a new-ish machine... this machine (forexample) is on 24/7 (with all
my applications loaded all the time), and is only ever reset for
security patches (about once a month).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Greenaway

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
No, but if you're running 98 and online you're just asking for trouble.

Why, for security reasons? I've never had trouble. Even when I was
running IE6. My wife, OTOH, seems to get all kinds of crap on hers all
the time, before on a machine like this, and now on an XP computer.
I really find it's all down to what you click on. Naive?
But, I guess your machine would be to slow for XP. There is a BIG
difference in stability between the two - XP is practically bomb-proof
on a new-ish machine... this machine (forexample) is on 24/7 (with all
my applications loaded all the time), and is only ever reset for
security patches (about once a month).

XP is wierd. Some machines it's great, some machines have all sorts
of problems.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Steve Greenaway scribbled in the mud:
Why, for security reasons? I've never had trouble. Even when I was
running IE6. My wife, OTOH, seems to get all kinds of crap on hers all
the time, before on a machine like this, and now on an XP computer.
I really find it's all down to what you click on. Naive?

Tell your wife to stay away from those porn sites. :)

SpaceGirl

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Why, for security reasons? I've never had trouble. Even when I was
running IE6.

Are you sure? Your 'puter might be a zombie without you knowing :)
My wife, OTOH, seems to get all kinds of crap on hers all
the time, before on a machine like this, and now on an XP computer.
I really find it's all down to what you click on. Naive?
*shrugs*

XP is wierd. Some machines it's great, some machines have all sorts
of problems.

Yeah it is a bit like that. But if you really MUST use Windows (of any
sort), it seems particuarly daft to use a version that is almost 7 years
old given the risks of "living online".

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Martin Bialasinski

SpaceGirl said:
Yeah it is a bit like that. But if you really MUST use Windows (of
any sort), it seems particuarly daft to use a version that is almost
7 years old given the risks of "living online".

Well, all the RPC-"we infect you as soon as you go online" Worms need
Windows > 98, no? Worm Writers don't seem to bother with backwards
compatibility ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

SpaceGirl said:
No, it's fine... only a fool would put an uprotected machine
online!

91% of the WWW-surfing public are fools! said:
20 minutes is very optomistic anyway. I've seen it happen
in 20 seconds!

Well, that too. Depends on your ISP ... dialup ... broadband ...

Steve Greenaway

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
Are you sure? Your 'puter might be a zombie without you knowing :)

mmmm.... zombies....

I'm running ad-aware, pest patrol, cwshredder, using AVG antivirus. Any
other suggestions?

Randy Webb

SpaceGirl said:
No, it's fine... only a fool would put an uprotected machine online! 20
minutes is very optomistic anyway. I've seen it happen in 20 seconds!

And only a fool would comment on that without actually reading the
article. If you had, you would have seen where it explained that the 20
minutes it takes to violate it is less time than it takes to actually
make it "secure". Or do you propose to update the computers off the
shelf some other way than by being online?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

And only a fool would comment on that without actually reading the
article. If you had, you would have seen where it explained that
the 20 minutes it takes to violate it is less time than it takes to
actually make it "secure". Or do you propose to update the
computers off the shelf some other way than by being online?

Mind clarifying who is the fool you are referring to here, Randy?