One instance of my web service keeps stopping

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Vincent Finn, Aug 28, 2009.

  1. Vincent Finn

    Vincent Finn Guest

    Hi,

    I have a web service and it sometimes doesn't respond unless I kick it
    awake (browse to the .svc file from IIS).
    Once I wake it up it's fine for a while but it'll go back to sleep
    again and I'm not sure how to keep it processing.

    I am on Windows 7 using IIS 7 and the service is developed with Visual
    Studio 2008.

    The service is configured to use MSMQ to recieve messages (with WCF) so
    the client will work even if the web service isn't available and I can
    tell when the service isn't processing by looking at the queue
    (transactional is on so MSDTC is involved too).
    When everything works I can see the messages appear in the queue and
    then get moved to the journal, if there is a failure in the code the
    are moved to the retry queue.

    I have 2 identical services and only one of them has this problem.
    I wrote a service called MessagingService and made a copy of it called
    MessagingService2.
    They are identical except that MessagingService2 is deployed to
    localhost\MessagingService2 instead of localhost\MessagingService and
    the queue name is changes to macth that.

    My client sends two messages, one to each queue.
    MessagingService will process its message but MessagingService2 won't
    (I have waited for more than 30 minutes to see if it was just slow).
    If I run MessagingService2 in VS or simply browse to the .svc file then
    it'll process the message so I know there is no problem with the code
    or the queue.
    Once I browse it'll stay working for quite a while but it'll always
    stop again at some point, it's never seems to work directly after a
    reboot.
    I checked the Event log but did see anything that looked related.

    Anyone else seen this sort of behaviour?
    Any idea what could cause it?
    Vincent Finn, Aug 28, 2009

  2. Vincent Finn

    Vincent Finn Guest

    One other point I just realised might be important.
    The client I am using has a Service Reference to MessageService but not
    to MessageService2.

    I can't have a Service Reference to each service since I am choosing
    them dynamically and will be the address on the fly.

    I did try calling Open() on both the Client class and the Channel but
    it didn't change anything.

    Thanks, Vin

    Vincent Finn, Aug 28, 2009