One more running Perl as a service question

Cosmic Cruizer

I would think this question is more suitable for a Microsoft forum, but
since I have not received any replies to the questions I posted there, I'm
back here again.

Now that I am finally successful in turning my Perl scripts into services,
is it possible to have the service display a console window when the account
is used to logon? If yes, what changes do I need to make to my service?

This is an application that used to run as a console window, but since it
also needs to run without an account being logged on, I turned it into a
service. Since the application is a real-time automated monitoring tool,
there are times when it is necessary to observe what is scrolling by on the
screen.

If this isn't the best place to post this question, which group might be
better suited to answer my question? (I tried the microsoft.public.win2000
groups.)

Thanks for all the help.

Ben Morrow

[...]

I would have said you want two programs: one that sits in the
background doing its stuff, and then another that connects to it and
asks for current monitoring info. Or the daemon (sorry, service) could
log all it's info to a file or to whatever windows' equivalent of
syslog is, and you could view it later at lesiure.

Ben

Cosmic Cruizer

I would have said you want two programs: one that sits in the
background doing its stuff, and then another that connects to it and
asks for current monitoring info. Or the daemon (sorry, service) could
log all it's info to a file or to whatever windows' equivalent of
syslog is, and you could view it later at lesiure.

Ben

The case of reading the info from a log file was already determined to be
impractical, but I never consider having a secondary application that could
connect to the service. I like this idea. I'm not yet quite sure on what I
need to do, but it sounds like an interesting and challenging little
exercise.

Thanks Ben.

Thomas Kratz

Herb said:
I think Ben is still correct that you might prefer a two program solutions
with the
service acting as server to the other program but....

On a Windows service there is a setting "interact with desktop"; without
this the
service may not display anything directly to the user. Check that
(literally and
figuratively) and you can probably display a command window depending on
when and where you want it to appear.

By the way: this is only possible if the service runs under the local
system account.

Thomas