One of my joomla webpages has been hacked. Please help.

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Hello,

One webpage of mine, http://www.varsa.gr/ has been *hacked* 15 mins ago.

I logged into CPanel but the joomla files seem ok.

but when i view page code with chrome i get the source code, i dont knwo of which file thaty contains javascript inside.

Please visit my web page varsa.gr and view the source code and maybe you can tell me what has happened.

I would be gratefull for any help you provide me.

I know this is not a python question but you guyshave high knowledge of web sites programming and i though you wouldnt mind helping me out.

Thank you very much.

Chris Angelico

One webpage of mine, http://www.varsa.gr/ has been *hacked* 15 mins ago.

I know this is not a python question but you guyshave high knowledge of web sites programming and i though you wouldnt mind helping me out.

No, this is not a Python question. I would recommend looking for
Joomla-specific help. And when you do, you'll find out that these
sorts of web frameworks have vulnerabilities just like every other big
program seems to, with Joomla looking like a happy member of the
Windows family.

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

One webpage of mine, [url redacted] has been *hacked* 15 mins ago. [...]
I would be gratefull for any help you provide me.

Yeah yeah, sure. Is this an attempt to get people to visit your web site
so it can do a drive-by install of malware?

I know this is not a python question

But you asked anyway. Why don't you ask your car mechanic to fix your
plumbing, or go to the doctor to ask advice on how to cook pizza?

Chris Angelico

But you asked anyway. Why don't you ask your car mechanic to fix your
plumbing, or go to the doctor to ask advice on how to cook pizza?

Or your plumber to rescue the princess who's in another castle...

ChrisA

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 4:42:35 ð.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Steven D'Aprano Ýãñáøå:
One webpage of mine, [url redacted] has been *hacked* 15 mins ago.
[...]

I would be gratefull for any help you provide me.

Yeah yeah, sure. Is this an attempt to get people to visit your web site

so it can do a drive-by install of malware?

I know this is not a python question

But you asked anyway. Why don't you ask your car mechanic to fix your

plumbing, or go to the doctor to ask advice on how to cook pizza?

I was not into my intention to infect you with drive-by malware, it just myweb site got defaced and i wanted info on how they did it.

The web host company pulled a previous backup and now its all good.

My apologies for the annoyance i have coused you all i wanted was some insight so to make sure this wont happen again( it already happened 2 times by now).

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 10:26:05 ð.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Peter Otten Ýãñáøå:
Íßêïò Ãêñååê wrote:

Do you use a password that was exposed in the other thread,

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-September/630779.html

?
No, that was for another web page of mine utilizing python mysql connection, this was joomla only website which remind me to also ask if i can embed somwhow python code to joomla cms.

Dwight Hutto

Hello,

One webpage of mine, http://www.varsa.gr/ has been *hacked* 15 mins ago.
The others are right, this is a joomla question, unless you're
allowing execution of code by members and they utilize python.

My questions:
Only one? From my experience of joomla, you can allow your posters to
execute code within their postings by utilizing certain plugins.

It seems odd that only one page was hacked, or that they let you know,
and didn't try db access.

But it seems you're site had a hosting backup, but make sure to
subscribe to the joomla update and security list, plus change the
passwords.
I logged into CPanel but the joomla files seem ok.

Did you have a backup of the file structure, and a zipped db backup,
then check for new security flaws/change passwords/etc?
but when i view page code with chrome i get the source code, i dont knwo of which file thaty contains javascript inside.

Please visit my web page varsa.gr and view the source code and maybe you can tell me what has happened.

I would be gratefull for any help you provide me.

I know this is not a python question but you guyshave high knowledge of web sites programming and i though you wouldnt mind helping me out.

Yeah, programming, but joomla is html, php, css, and javascript, but I
don't remember much python there.

Best Regards,
David Hutto
CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com

Kev Dwyer

Îίκος ΓκÏεεκ said:
Τη Σάββατο, 22 ΣεπτεμβÏίου 2012 10:26:05 Ï€.μ. UTC+3, ο χÏήστης Peter Otten
έγÏαψε:
No, that was for another web page of mine utilizing python mysql
connection, this was joomla only website which remind me to also ask if i
can embed somwhow python code to joomla cms.

This is only speculation, as I don't know exactly how your web page has been
"hacked", but if your page somehow exposes a database connection, and the
hack involves changing the contents of the database then you should read up
on SQL injection attacks and how to prevent them.

Cheers,

Kev

Steven D'Aprano

This is only speculation, as I don't know exactly how your web page has
been "hacked", but if your page somehow exposes a database connection,
and the hack involves changing the contents of the database then you
should read up on SQL injection attacks and how to prevent them.

This is joomla, that is, PHP. There are a bazillion ways to hack PHP. By
the OP's own account, his website has been hacked twice before and he's
done nothing to fix the vulnerability, just restored from backup. He'll
be hacked again, and again, and again.

Why are we discussing this? It has nothing to do with Python and is
completely off-topic for this list.

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 4:09:37 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Steven D'Aprano Ýãñáøå:
This is joomla, that is, PHP. There are a bazillion ways to hack PHP. By

the OP's own account, his website has been hacked twice before and he's

done nothing to fix the vulnerability, just restored from backup. He'll

be hacked again, and again, and again.

Why are we discussing this? It has nothing to do with Python and is

completely off-topic for this list.

But how am i supposed to fix this vulnerability if i don't know which one is it?

My guess is they used joomlas template to insert arbitrary code but thats just a guess.

Chris Angelico

But how am i supposed to fix this vulnerability if i don't know which oneis it?

My guess is they used joomlas template to insert arbitrary code but thatsjust a guess.

The answer to that is a thing called "research", and you'll usually
find a lot of it at the other end of a web search. Also, you may want
to look into what it means to be a web site administrator. It doesn't
simply involve throwing down some code that someone else wrote and
expecting it to work.

If you want a web site without having to manage it yourself, consider
a blog instead - someone else hosts it and worries about security, and
you just post your content to it. It's a far FAR easier option, as
long as what you want can be shoehorned into someone else's layout
design.

Neither of these options involves any Python coding, so if you want
further assistance with them, I recommend looking for a forum
dedicated to the technology you use.

ChrisA

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 5:57:41 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:
The answer to that is a thing called "research", and you'll usually

find a lot of it at the other end of a web search. Also, you may want

to look into what it means to be a web site administrator. It doesn't

simply involve throwing down some code that someone else wrote and

expecting it to work.

If you want a web site without having to manage it yourself, consider

a blog instead - someone else hosts it and worries about security, and

you just post your content to it. It's a far FAR easier option, as

long as what you want can be shoehorned into someone else's layout

design.

Neither of these options involves any Python coding, so if you want

further assistance with them, I recommend looking for a forum

dedicated to the technology you use.

ChrisA

Okey i'll ask this to the officila joomla forum, one last thing though.

Is there a way to somehow embed(or utilize) python code, for example my python counter code script you have seen last week inside my Joomla/WordPress cms sites?

For example:

http://superhost.gr/ is my main website utilizing python counter script.

http://superhost.gr/html/?show=log is my own way(i prefer it over awstats- don't ask why) for viewing my visitors.

in my other sites which are CMS sites, like

http://varsa.gr
and
http://thessalonik.wordpress.com/

is there a possible way to embed(if thats the term) my python counter script there too?

so i can keep track of visitors info for each page i have there?

Chris Angelico

Is there a way to somehow embed(or utilize) python code, for example my python counter code script you have seen last week inside my Joomla/WordPress cms sites?

You probably could. But I reiterate, you're going about things all
backwards. Keep things way WAY simpler and just do some basic parsing
of your web logs after the event. Life is so much easier that way.

ChrisA

Íßêïò Ãêñååê

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 9:18:02 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:
You probably could. But I reiterate, you're going about things all

backwards. Keep things way WAY simpler and just do some basic parsing

of your web logs after the event. Life is so much easier that way.

ChrisA

Out of curiocity how would i used my python counter source code along with Joomla?

Chris Angelico

Ôç ÓÜââáôï, 22 Óåðôåìâñßïõ 2012 9:18:02 ì.ì. UTC+3, ï ÷ñÞóôçò Chris Angelico Ýãñáøå:

Out of curiocity how would i used my python counter source code along with Joomla?

Easy. Look for what common sense would recommend, then turn 180
degrees. Let me know when you get there and we'll send the rest of the
directions.

-- paraphrasing what a stupid American tourist was told about
directions in Australia

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

Out of curiocity how would i used my python counter source code along
with Joomla?

This is not a Joomla forum. We do not know how to run code in Joomla.
Regardless of whether the code is Python, or Perl, or Lisp, or Lua, or
any of thousands of different languages, your question is about Joomla.
Please ask it on a Joomla forum.

And when you are there, don't ask them to fix your Python bugs.