One program in different GUI Toolkits

Franz Steinhaeusler

Hello NG,

I have a suggestion.

For simplifying learning or switching between different GUI
Toolkits, I could imagine to have one short clearly presented
program in different GUI Toolkits.

What about for example wxProject?

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/WxProject
or some other suggestion to take as base program.
(could contain menus, buttons, listboxes, dialogs, ...)

I would be very interested how it would looks in:
wxPython
pyGtk
pyQt
TkInter

Maybe in:
Wax
PythonCard
PyFLTK

Anybody is interested in implementing in one other GUI?
We could put in on one Python wiki page for example.

Many thanks in advance!

metaperl

Franz said:
Hello NG,

I have a suggestion.

For simplifying learning or switching between different GUI
Toolkits, I could imagine to have one short clearly presented
program in different GUI Toolkits.
Anybody is interested in implementing in one other GUI?
We could put in on one Python wiki page for example.

Thanks to your post, I have fallen in love with PythonCard. I would be
happy to try to implement what you want in that.

Wolfgang Keller

What about for example wxProject?

What about something that could be actually useful for end-users? >:->

E.g. a GUI wrapper for Httrack?

The "back-end" is already there:

http://www.satzbau-gmbh.de/staff/abel/httrack-py/

So the work could really focus on the GUI.

BTW: There's a book from MITP "Python und GUI Toolkits" (in German) that
shows how to implement a given example program with Tkinter, Qt, wxWidgets
and GTK+2.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

metaperl.etc

Franz said:
Hello NG,

I have a suggestion.

For simplifying learning or switching between different GUI
Toolkits, I could imagine to have one short clearly presented
program in different GUI Toolkits.

What about for example wxProject?

http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/WxProject
or some other suggestion to take as base program.
(could contain menus, buttons, listboxes, dialogs, ...)

I would be very interested how it would looks in:
wxPython
pyGtk

Really one thing about pyGTK is that it has KIWI, which sits on top of
PyGtk and makes it very easy to use. Not to mention that it also has 2
GUI builders built on top of it, Glade and Gazpacho.

metaperl.etc

Actually due to lack of documentation and feedback from the mailing
list, I am fallen out of love with Pythoncard and in love with
Kiwi/Pygtk. Given the large groundswell support for pygtk, i dont think
I will be disappointed.

PyQT looks ultra-slick, but the commercial nature of QT and the design
tools gives me an icky feeling.

Steve Holden

Actually due to lack of documentation and feedback from the mailing
list, I am fallen out of love with Pythoncard and in love with
Kiwi/Pygtk. Given the large groundswell support for pygtk, i dont think
I will be disappointed.

PyQT looks ultra-slick, but the commercial nature of QT and the design
tools gives me an icky feeling.
In and out of love in eight hours and six minutes? I'm glad I don't have
a daughter ;-)

regards
Steve

metaperl

Steve said:
In and out of love in eight hours and six minutes? I'm glad I don't have
a daughter ;-)

heheh... I am rather mercurial (oops, no pun intended). I have never
held a job in the IT industry for a year in 7 years of professional
work: http://www.metaperl.com

But I just found out I get a 4-month penalty if I break my current
condo lease, so for once, I think I will stay put for a year.

Franz Steinhaeusler

[...]

Hello all,

thank you for your replies.

Hmm, ideally the program is short and a little useful,
to that I agree.

What about a small text editor using the scintilla control?
It should be available for Pythoncard, wxPython, pygtk and pyQt
(qtscintilla).
With a small find dialog, open, save should be enough for the beginning.

Other suggestions?

Paul Boddie

Franz said:
What about a small text editor using the scintilla control?
It should be available for Pythoncard, wxPython, pygtk and pyQt
(qtscintilla).
With a small find dialog, open, save should be enough for the beginning.

You might be interested in this page:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgrammingShootout

Other people have suggested similar projects before, and you might be
able to get the ball rolling with the above suggestion.

Paul