One Root Web Site - Many Businesses Using Same ASP.NET Code

Guest

We are considering hosting our application suite at Rack Space.

We have 150 customers that will run our application in the hosted
enviornment. Currently all our customers have their own Intranet server, SQL
Server and application server.

Is it realistic to attempt to have one copy of our application that all 50
customers can use? One coping meaning, one virtual directory with the same
code being used by all customers. We would use a web farm to ensure
availability.

Each customer will have their own database, but the same ASP.NET code.

Thank you for any opinions on this subject. I have not seen this
configuration in the .NET books I have.

Have a great day,

Karl

John Timney \(MVP\)

Sounds to me like you need a well qualified DBA to look over your tables,
work out your key fields and normalise your tables so you can share the DB
between all of your clients, thus having a shared DB, and single application
capable of being clustered. Its not an uncommon scenario. The alternative
of course would be to pull different config data for a connection to your
different DBs based on who's using your app.

Guest

John,

Thank you for your very quick response.

I'm our DBA as well as... ... I ran an ISP in NY City during the Internet
Happy Days, and we were considering this same course but didn't do it.

I think separate databases would be more secure.

But I was thinking about data cached objects. (related pull down tables to
be exact)

Do you know if ASP.NET 2.0 and IIS would perform better with one root web
site and all the cached objects from each customer, or would it perform
better with seperate webs? I know up front that there would not be any
duplication of cached objects since each customer has different values in
their related tables. For example, the neighborhood table or the schools
table that relate to a master address table.

Thank you for any insight you may have and have a great day,

Karl