One SQL, two conns

Stuart Palmer

Hi There,
I'm writing an ASP cart and hit a problem.

I have 2 db's, one is products, one is cart contents.

Cart contents holds the unique ID from products when you do your 'basket'.

When I display the basket, I want to display the products name from the
products DB based on the ID stated in the cart DB

I have been informed I can do this with SQL some how, but that means I'd
have to create two conn objects? or can it be done another way?

Thx for the advise.

Stu

Harag

Hi There,
I'm writing an ASP cart and hit a problem.

I have 2 db's, one is products, one is cart contents.

Cart contents holds the unique ID from products when you do your 'basket'.

When I display the basket, I want to display the products name from the
products DB based on the ID stated in the cart DB

I have been informed I can do this with SQL some how, but that means I'd
have to create two conn objects? or can it be done another way?

Thx for the advise.

Stu

2 DBs or 2 tables in 1 DB ?
what DB are you using access?

for SQL (as I've never used access) you would join the 2 tables
together to get the result. since I don't know your Table layouts
(Provide DDL) I'm just guessing.

SELECT p.ProdID, p.ProdName, b.Quantity, p.Price, (b.Quantity*p.Price)
as Total
FROM basket b INNER JOIN
Products p ON b.ProdID = p.ProdID
WHERE b.MemberID = 23 -- user number of logged in person.

HTH.

Al.

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

Stuart,

A good practice is to connect to only one database, and take advantage of
connection pooling. You can create views in your product table, to the
tables within cart database. This way, you can just connect to one database.

Stuart Palmer

Hi Harag,
Thx for the info, I know about Joining two tables in a DB together, but
I have two seperate MDB files (Yes, access. I don't have SQL server :eek:( ).
Have you opened two SQL Server Db's at the same time and managed to get
data from each? (A kind of JOIN but for mbd queries)

Thx
Stu

Stuart Palmer

Thx,
I think I understadn what you mean, but I am not quite understanding.
I have MDB db's. Are you saying I should be able to somehow add something to
the products MDB to state that I want it to connect to the other in some
manner?

Do you have a link to anything on the web that might be able to explain this
better? I have looked up connection pooling on the www but it offers me no
example (code/process for me to do this except enabling and disabling
it....which is done on the server (my Host won't let me do this I don't
think :eek:( )

Thx again
Stu