OnEditCommand - FindControl returning Null

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by George Durzi, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. George Durzi

    George Durzi Guest

    Inside <columns/> in my datagrid, I have the following template column

    <asp:templatecolumn HeaderText="To Be Completed By">
    <itemtemplate>
    <asp:Label runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,
    "DataItem.FULL_NAME") %>'><asp:label>
    </itemtemplate>
    <edititemtemplate>
    <asp:dropdownlist ID="cboToBeCompletedBy"
    Runat="server"></asp:dropdownlist>
    </edititemtemplate>
    <asp:templatecolumn>

    this template column is in cell 2 (0,1,2)

    In my EditCommand event, I'd like to populate this dropdownlist. I call this
    code

    dgStatusIncomplete.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex;
    FetchSurveyStatusIncomplete(); // Populates the DataGrid
    FetchUsersbyDepartment(
    e.Item.Cells[2].FindControl("cboToBeCompletedBy"),
    e.Item.Cells[3].Text.ToString());

    The problem is that e.Item.Cells[2].FindControl("cboToBeCompletedBy") is
    returning null, so the FetchUsersbyDepartment isn't receiving the drop down
    list control as a parameter, it is incorrectly receiving null as a
    parameter. Any idea?

    private void FetchUsersbyDepartment(object control, string DeptId)
    {
    // Fetch Users for the Department
    DataSet dsStaff = Department.FetchUsersbyDepartment(ConnectString,
    DeptId);

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList ctrl =
    (System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList)control;

    using (dsStaff)
    {
    if (dsStaff.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
    {