Online Counseling / Group Therapy / Creative Support *CYBORGS*

virtualadepts

I have a plan to build a robotic cyborg that can facillitate
communication online, and can be programmed similar to Alice to discuss
almost any topic. My plan is to build the robotic end of this program,
and find psychiatric professionals to program it to talk with ordinary
people about their lives and give them support and counseling, instead
of having to deal with unmoderated forums, or networks of people who
might take advantage of a vulnerable person in a moderated forum. This
plan would be better than myspace for people who were lonely, or didn't
want to divulge personal information to strangers online. I've used
myspace before and I didn't have any friends that ever even wrote me,
and I think that is true for most people unless you are a young
attractive girl.

So here is the plan. The cyborg is programmed as a search engine, and
the counselor or technical support person is trained to pick a
programmed response using the engine. When a person chats to the
cyborg, the search engine automatically runs a search and then the
support agent can pick the first response. Once the first response is
picked, the program goes into 20 questions mode, and the next response
is based on an understanding of what the first answer to the users
question was.

But if the support agent can't find an appropriate question, he can
move backwards into the tree of 20 questions, and browse through other
possible lines of questions and answers before actually selecting a
response.

It seems easy to program the robot to do this, but harder to come up
with questions for every topic.

Anyone want to work on this project with me, or take it from here? On
AOL, technical support people use a program just like this to answer
questions, and have tons of refrences to automatically search through
to come up with complicated answers. And can provide links to more in
depth information. They even train the people on the phone to talk
with users according to a simpler script to help them keep clients, and
get buisness.

To top it off they are paying people who can barely speak english in
India, 10 cents an hour to do this job, and they are starving!