    been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
    why they stink.

    Does this exist?
    egoebel, May 10, 2005

  2. "egoebel" wrote:

    > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
    > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
    > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
    > why they stink.

    http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    /Pavel
    Pavel Vozenilek, May 10, 2005

  3. egoebel

    Phlip Guest

    Pavel Vozenilek wrote:

    > "egoebel" wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
    > > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
    > > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
    > > why they stink.

    > http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

    They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
    method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

    cout
    extern ostream cout;
    The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

    To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand
    Phlip, May 10, 2005
  4. "Phlip" wrote:

    >> > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
    >> > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
    >> > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
    >> > why they stink.

    >> http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    > I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
    >
    > They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
    > method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
    >
    > cout
    > extern ostream cout;
    > The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.
    >
    > To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

    Hmm. Detailed complete examples are scattered around the web.
    Either that or a book.

    /Pavel
    Pavel Vozenilek, May 10, 2005
  5. egoebel

    Pete Becker Guest

    Phlip wrote:
    > Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    > I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
    >
    > They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
    > method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
    >
    > cout
    > extern ostream cout;
    > The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.
    >
    > To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

    Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it over
    so that you understand its organization and its target audience. You're
    right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
    that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't speculate
    on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more descriptive
    information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many cases
    it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you read
    what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream", and
    you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
    descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
    descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't
    mention that.

    --

    Pete Becker
    Pete Becker, May 10, 2005
  6. egoebel

    egoebel Guest

    Phlip wrote:
    > Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
    > >
    > > "egoebel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire

    Standard
    > > > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI.

    I've
    > > > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to

    explain
    > > > why they stink.

    > > http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    > I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
    >
    > They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of

    each
    > method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
    >
    > cout
    > extern ostream cout;
    > The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte

    stream.

    > To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete

    examples.

    Examples isn't really what I am looking for. I'm looking for something
    like doxygen (or javadoc). A reference with hyperlinks between
    different types and so forth.

    I'm tempted to try running doxygen against VC++ or one of my Linux
    systems, but it would be nice if someone or some vendor had a site that
    was laready "clenaed up."

    egoebel, May 10, 2005
  7. egoebel

    egoebel Guest

    Pete Becker wrote:
    > Phlip wrote:
    > > Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
    > >

    > >>http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

    > > I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
    > >
    > > They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions

    of each
    > > method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
    > >
    > > cout
    > > extern ostream cout;
    > > The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte

    stream.

    > > To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete

    examples.

    > Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it

    over
    > so that you understand its organization and its target audience.

    You're
    > right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
    > that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't

    speculate
    > on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more

    descriptive
    > information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many

    cases
    > it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you

    read
    > what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream",

    and
    > you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
    > descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
    > descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't

    > mention that.

    Actually I took another look at Dinkumware's documentation. It's pretty
    close to what I am looking for.

    egoebel, May 10, 2005
  8. egoebel

    Phlip Guest