    online viewer ("IE" | "Internet Explorer" | Explorer)
    --
    Cheers, m

    m, Dec 26, 2003

  2. m

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Dec 26, 2003

  3. m

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:f83Hb.7582$>
    m said:

    > Anyone know if there is an online viewer to show me what my pages look
    > like in IE?

    any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    totally false and misleading.

    --
    brucie
    27/December/2003 09:09:00 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 26, 2003
  4. m

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:09:36 +1000, brucie
    <> wrote:

    >any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    >appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    >totally false and misleading.

    And any site that has "click here" even once on a web page is not
    to be trusted.

    Bob, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Bob wrote:
    > And any site that has "click here" even once on a web page is not
    > to be trusted.

    Hey, you just made every Usenet archive untrustworthy. :)

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 26, 2003
  6. m

    DU Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:f83Hb.7582$>
    > m said:
    >

    >>Anyone know if there is an online viewer to show me what my pages look
    >>like in IE?

    > any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    > appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    > totally false and misleading.

    Does your comment applies to:
    http://kcapture.eadz.co.nz/
    and
    http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    DU

    DU, Dec 26, 2003
  7. m

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bsihee$1il$>
    DU said:

    >> any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    >> appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    >> totally false and misleading.

    > Does your comment applies to:
    > http://kcapture.eadz.co.nz/

    yes

    > and
    > http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    yes

    --
    brucie
    27/December/2003 10:03:41 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 27, 2003
  8. brucie <> wrote:
    >> and
    >> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    > yes

    Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's *actually*
    displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Dec 27, 2003
  9. m

    Richard Guest

    m wrote:

    > Anyone know if there is an online viewer
    > to show me what my pages look like in IE?

    > I'm coming up with nothing on Google searches
    > like:
    > online viewer ("IE" | "Internet Explorer" | Explorer)
    > --
    > Cheers, m

    What's wrong with just downloading the free IE?

    Richard, Dec 27, 2003
  10. m

    Richard Guest

    DU wrote:

    > brucie wrote:

    >> in post <news:f83Hb.7582$>
    >> m said:
    >>

    >>>Anyone know if there is an online viewer to show me what my pages look
    >>>like in IE?

    >> any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    >> appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    >> totally false and misleading.
    >>

    > Does your comment applies to:
    > http://kcapture.eadz.co.nz/

    Nice and quick response.

    > and
    > http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    Slow. Requires you to wait who knows how long to see it.
    My test showed 47 in queue at the present time.
    Why? I'm not waiting around that long.

    Richard, Dec 27, 2003
  11. m

    Richard Guest

    Michael Wilcox wrote:

    > brucie <> wrote:
    >>> and
    >>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    >> yes

    > Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's
    > *actually* displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that
    > browser? --

    The screenshot of one my samples shows me how screwed it up it really is
    rather nicely.
    http://1-large-world.com/samples/submit.html
    First view it in your browser, then go get a screenshot of it.
    Now I understand what brucie was so hyper about.

    Richard, Dec 27, 2003
  12. m

    kchayka Guest

    Michael Wilcox wrote:
    > brucie <> wrote:
    >>> and
    >>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    >> yes

    > Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's *actually*
    > displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

    It can only show what the page looks like at one combination of
    environmental variables. It can't tell you how it reacts to changes in
    those variables, whether JS works or not, or help debug rendering issues.

    Case in point: I stumbled upon some broken MacIE overflow behavior on
    one page that didn't reveal itself until the window was less than 700px
    wide. A single screenshot from the above site wouldn't have shown that.

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.

    kchayka, Dec 27, 2003
  13. m

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:YZ6Hb.11003$>
    Michael Wilcox said:

    >>> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    >> yes

    > Please tell me you're kidding.

    i'm am not

    > A screenshot from a browser that's *actually* displaying the page
    > *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

    it is misleading at best.

    i find it strange that people are willing to accept that their page
    works from viewing a single screencap from a script but if someone
    posted a screencap of their page and asked people to see if their page
    worked they would get their panties flamed off.

    --
    brucie
    27/December/2003 05:26:20 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 27, 2003
  14. m

    rf Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > brucie <> wrote:
    > >> and
    > >> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    > > yes

    > Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's

    *actually*
    > displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

    In that browser yes *but* with a specific canvas size and a specific font
    size and a specific set of all sorts of other user settings.

    I have seen sites submitted here for review which fall apart completely at
    the spin of a Ctrl mousewheel.

    The only way to test a site in a specific browser is to download that
    browser and fiddle about. However I guess one alternative is to ask here.
    Most people will be kind enough to explain the sites shortcomings :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 27, 2003
  15. Richard wrote:

    > What's wrong with just downloading the free IE?

    Free IE? Last I checked, IE was "part of Windows" according to Microsoft,
    and you certainly can't download Windows free (and legally).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 27, 2003
  16. "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > brucie <> wrote:
    > >> and
    > >> http://www.danvine.com/capture/

    > > yes

    > Please tell me you're kidding. A screenshot from a browser that's

    *actually*
    > displaying the page *doesn't* show how it'll look in that browser?

    OK .. Here's the rub...

    Just because your page 'looks' ok doesn't mean it works properly...

    How can you tell that mouse-overs and image alt tags are working?
    What about all the irritating sounds and animations ?
    What about Z-Index ? -- IE for mac displays correctly but doesn't allow
    mouse-over.

    How do you really know what browser settings are in use.. I may have IE6
    installed but I bet my security and script settings are different to yours..
    Don't you want to test what happens to your java menus when I have java
    turned off?

    The only real way to test your page is to actually test it yourself by
    actually installing different browsers and any webdesigner worth his salt
    would do this as a final test... Surely if you were making chocolate
    cookies, wouldn't you taste one yourself before you let anyone else have
    any??

    BTW - I don't condone the over-use of java, z-index , sound , animation etc
    .... I just put these as examples...

    .... Rob ...

    Not in my trousers, Dec 27, 2003
  17. m

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fed8543_5@127.0.0.1>
    Not in my trousers said:

    > Surely if you were making chocolate cookies, wouldn't you taste one
    > yourself before you let anyone else have any??

    no, i know what i put in them (mostly)

    --
    brucie
    27/December/2003 11:25:12 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 27, 2003
  18. m

    m Guest

    rf may have written:

    > The only way to test a site in a specific browser is to download that
    > browser and fiddle about. However I guess one alternative is to ask here.
    > Most people will be kind enough to explain the sites shortcomings :)

    I've run into the problem because I've formatted out the last visages of
    Windows from my HDs. Except for this test, I don't miss it at all.
    I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
    would run well under that?
    --
    Cheers, m

    m, Dec 27, 2003
  19. m wrote:
    > I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
    > would run well under that?

    I've heard of people who've gotten it to work, but I haven't been able
    to yet. If you manage it, please let me know.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 27, 2003
  20. m wrote:

    > I havn't investigated Wine thoroughly yet. Does anyone know whether IE
    > would run well under that?

    Depends on the version. IE 2 and 3 should install and run easily, although
    I'm not sure how keen you'd be in running them. IE 4 and 5 will run, but
    generally require a bit of tinkering (for example, grabbing some DLLs from
    a real Windows box). I've not heard of IE 6 running under Wine, but they
    are making advances every day.

    Other options to investigate: Codeweavers Crossover Office, VMWare, Plex86
    and Bochs. Of these Bochs and VMWare are your two best bets reliability
    wise, although VMWare is quite pricey and Bochs is pretty slow.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 28, 2003