    --
    http://www.stuffmongers.com

    Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG
    Les & Claire, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Mikhail Esteves, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Mikhail Esteves wrote:

    > Yep:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=onli...illa-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    > HTH

    We can all use search engines. ( have you tried Copernic Agent pro? Much
    better than Google IMO ).
    Have you any experience of any of the search results you so skillfully
    suplied? Any tips for making pages search engine friendly. Experience is
    much more valuable than a google search result. It would have been pointless
    to post were it not for the expectation to make use of the experience of the
    group members here....

    Les

    Les & Claire, Feb 25, 2004
  4. "Les & Claire" <> wrote:

    > Experience is
    > much more valuable than a google search result.

    But you gave no indication of what you have found out so far.
    Trying to explain things without knowing what you already know is often
    very difficult, if not pointless.

    Let's ask this way: Have you any reason to believe that meta tags are
    actually useful? In which ways?

    Most probably you just want to use meta tags because someone told you,
    and that someone had heard it from somewhere, etc. Do you wish to have
    some more hearsay, or some facts? To get to facts, you need to
    distinguish them from the usual rumors and claims. It's easy in this
    case: just look at the lack of evidence that people present when they
    promote meta tags.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Les & Claire

    Les & Claire Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > But you gave no indication of what you have found out so far.
    > Trying to explain things without knowing what you already know is
    > often very difficult, if not pointless.
    >
    > Let's ask this way: Have you any reason to believe that meta tags are
    > actually useful? In which ways?
    >
    > Most probably you just want to use meta tags because someone told you,
    > and that someone had heard it from somewhere, etc. Do you wish to have
    > some more hearsay, or some facts? To get to facts, you need to
    > distinguish them from the usual rumors and claims. It's easy in this
    > case: just look at the lack of evidence that people present when they
    > promote meta tags.

    OK then, i'll try to rephrase.

    "What is the best way to increase my exposure when someone searches for a
    keyword within a search engine?"

    Les

    Les & Claire, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Les & Claire

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Les & Claire" <> wrote:

    >OK then, i'll try to rephrase.
    >
    >"What is the best way to increase my exposure when someone searches for a
    >keyword within a search engine?"

    Have good content on your site.

    Use title and heading elements that contain relevant keywords.

    Have other sites link to you.
    (Good quality sites with relevant content, not just lists of links.)

    Don't try to spam the search engines in any way at all.

    Submit your site to the various directories (dmoz, LookSmart, Yahoo)
    as these often provide a faster way into the search engine databases.
    If your site is commercial in nature you will probably have to pay to
    do this.

    Read the various search engine submission guidelines, e.g.
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/

    Read http://www.searchenginewatch.com/

    If you have the budget, buy advertising on the search engines tied to
    your chosen keywords, e.g. http://www.google.com/ads/

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 25, 2004
  7. "Les & Claire" <> skrev i melding

    > OK then, i'll try to rephrase.
    >
    > "What is the best way to increase my exposure when someone searches for a
    > keyword within a search engine?"

    "Keep your content of high quality, enough for other webmasters to link to
    your website".

    Did I get that right?

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Feb 25, 2004
  8. Les & Claire

    Sid Ismail Guest

    : Les & Claire wrote:
    : > Hello,
    : > A few years ago I had a nifty little freeware programme that
    : > generated meta tags for your site. I think it came off of .NET magazine here
    : > in the UK. While I'm delving through a pile of dusty CD cases looking for it
    : > I thought perhaps there may be an online version. Any ideas?

    http://www.clickfire.com/tools/freeware/metty/

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Feb 25, 2004
  9. Les & Claire

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Steve Pugh <> writing
    in news::

    > "Les & Claire" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>OK then, i'll try to rephrase.
    >>
    >>"What is the best way to increase my exposure when someone searches for a
    >>keyword within a search engine?"

    > Have good content on your site.
    >
    > Use title and heading elements that contain relevant keywords.
    >
    > Have other sites link to you.
    > (Good quality sites with relevant content, not just lists of links.)
    >
    > Don't try to spam the search engines in any way at all.
    >
    > Submit your site to the various directories (dmoz, LookSmart, Yahoo)
    > as these often provide a faster way into the search engine databases.
    > If your site is commercial in nature you will probably have to pay to
    > do this.
    >
    > Read the various search engine submission guidelines, e.g.
    > http://www.google.com/webmasters/
    >
    > Read http://www.searchenginewatch.com/
    >
    > If you have the budget, buy advertising on the search engines tied to
    > your chosen keywords, e.g. http://www.google.com/ads/
    >
    > Steve

    Amen to all the above, and I'll add - use logical markup. Use elements for
    what they are supposed to be for, H1-6 for headings, Lists for lists, etc.
    Use tables for tabular data. Use external stylesheets. Use external
    javascript files for javascript functions if your site needs them.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Feb 25, 2004