online ordering - cookies & failure

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Trevor, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Problem
    =======

    Shopping cart sometimes fails. Customers complain. It appears to be a
    cookie related problem.

    Background
    ==========

    ASP/Windows 2000, Cookie based, all financials handled via phone.

    Shopping items at redburg.co.uk, but button links to merrows.

    Cart at merrows.com - required for future use with different sites of
    merchant account with Barclays, but the bank allows one URL per
    account.

    Code
    ====

    -- basket id is stored on a DB and then all cart items are referenced
    from that.
    -- cookie holds only this id, URL, expiry

    if cartEmpty then
    getNewBasketShopperID
    Response.Cookies ("shoppingcart")("BasketShopperID") =
    thisBasketShopperID
    thisExpiry = DateAdd("d",1,Now)
    Response.Cookies ("shoppingcart").Expires = thisExpiry
    else
    thisBasketShopperID = Request.Cookies
    ("shoppingcart")("BasketShopperID")
    end if

    Request
    =======

    Has anyone got any ideas on the failures in the cart at merrows.com?

    Trevor, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Trevor

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Trevor) writing
    in news::

    > Problem
    >=======
    >
    > Shopping cart sometimes fails. Customers complain. It appears to be a
    > cookie related problem.
    >
    > Background
    >==========
    >
    > ASP/Windows 2000, Cookie based, all financials handled via phone.
    >
    > Shopping items at redburg.co.uk, but button links to merrows.
    >
    > Cart at merrows.com - required for future use with different sites of
    > merchant account with Barclays, but the bank allows one URL per
    > account.
    >
    > Code
    >====
    >
    > -- basket id is stored on a DB and then all cart items are referenced
    > from that.
    > -- cookie holds only this id, URL, expiry
    >
    > if cartEmpty then
    > getNewBasketShopperID
    > Response.Cookies ("shoppingcart")("BasketShopperID") =
    > thisBasketShopperID
    > thisExpiry = DateAdd("d",1,Now)
    > Response.Cookies ("shoppingcart").Expires = thisExpiry
    > else
    > thisBasketShopperID = Request.Cookies
    > ("shoppingcart")("BasketShopperID")
    > end if
    >

    > Request
    >=======
    >
    > Has anyone got any ideas on the failures in the cart at merrows.com?

    Do some response.writes for the value of the cookie, with various levels of
    privacy. The privacy level may be what's causing the problem.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Adrienne <> wrote in message news:<Xns940A1F7487070arbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>...
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Trevor) writing
    > in news::
    >

    > > Request
    > >=======
    > >
    > > Has anyone got any ideas on the failures in the cart at merrows.com?
    > >

    > Do some response.writes for the value of the cookie, with various levels of
    > privacy. The privacy level may be what's causing the problem.

    Can you expand on cookie privacy levels?

    I do not what privacy levels are or how to access them.

    Trevor, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Trevor

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Trevor)
    writing in news::

    > Adrienne <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Trevor)
    >> writing in news::
    >>

    >> > Request
    >> >=======
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone got any ideas on the failures in the cart at merrows.com?
    >> >

    >> Do some response.writes for the value of the cookie, with various
    >> levels of privacy. The privacy level may be what's causing the
    >> problem.

    > Can you expand on cookie privacy levels?
    >
    > I do not what privacy levels are or how to access them.

    In IE6 , go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy - Advanced

    Other browsers, procedure is similar.

    You should also read up on: http://www.w3.org/P3P/

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Trevor

    Augustus Guest

    "Trevor" <> wrote in message

    > Has anyone got any ideas on the failures in the cart at merrows.com?

    It doesn't matter that its "only" the shopper ID being stored in the
    cookie... if the user has cookies disabled or their company's internet
    security/firewall won't allow them, then the cart will not work for them

    You have only 2 options here:
    - Use an online ordering system that doesn't rely on cookies
    or
    - Go with what you got now, and deny some customers the use of your system

    Clint

    Augustus, Oct 5, 2003