online standard c++ library reference

Metaosp

Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

Thanks,
Metaosp

Victor Bazarov

Metaosp said:
Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

Get "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis. Best reference there is, and
if you keep it handy, it's like an online one.

www.dinkum.com has a reference.

Please do not troll. If Java is easier, use it.

red floyd

Metaosp said:
Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

Spend the money, and get the dead trees for: "The C++ Standard Library"
by Nicolai Josuttis. It's well worth the money.

Failing that, try http://www.dinkumware.com

Metaosp

Spend the money, and get the dead trees for: "The C++ Standard Library"
by Nicolai Josuttis. It's well worth the money.

Failing that, try http://www.dinkumware.com

Thanks for the tip. I will go get a copy of the book :)

I am writing a experimental network daemon for linux, to me finding the
documentation seems to be the hardest part of the job... in addition to
standard c++ library, things like socket, threading, xml parser... all
scattered in a obscure way to a c++ newbie like me. This is just part
of the learning curve that I have to climb I guess.

Daniel T.

Metaosp said:
Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

Other answers were great, I also use <http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/>
extensively.

?

Metaosp said:
Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

Aside from the tips already provided by the others, I would like to
suggest a reference [1] which only recently came to my attention. I
believe it's still a work-in-progress, but it looks nice enough to me.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/incubator/stdcxx/trunk/doc/stdlibref/II.html

Regards,

Roland Pibinger

Get "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis. Best reference there is, and
if you keep it handy, it's like an online one.

Josuttis' book is a very readable (and therefore recommendable)
introduction to the Standard library. If someone is primarily
interested in a reference 'C++ In a Nutshell' by Ray Lischner is the
right book: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cplsian/

Best regards,
Roland Pibinger

red floyd

Metaosp said:
I am writing a experimental network daemon for linux, to me finding the
documentation seems to be the hardest part of the job... in addition to
standard c++ library, things like socket, threading, xml parser... all
scattered in a obscure way to a c++ newbie like me. This is just part
of the learning curve that I have to climb I guess.

Followups set to comp.unix.programmer

We're getting OT, but on linux, the socket stuff is in the man pages.
For XML, you need to use your XML parser's documentation (Xerces has
online doc). For threading, get a good book on PThreads. Either
"Programming with POSIX Threads" by Butenhofl "Pthreads Programming" by
Nichols, Buttlar, and Farrell; or the updated version of the classic
"Advanced Unix Programming" by Rochkind.

Marcin Kalicinski

Is there any good on-line reference manual for the latest standard c++
library? In the Java world the library documents are so readily
available that makes coding a lot easier, I really wish to have the same
thing when writing c++ programs. Any advice?

You might also try MSDN library online. Microsoft has nice (that's just my
opinion please don't kill me) docs on C++ and standard library.

To get there open http://msdn.microsoft.com/library

and follow these links on left-hand side tree:

Development Tools And Languages -> Visual Studio .NET -> Visual C++ ->
Reference -> Visual C++ Libraries -> Standard C++ Library Reference

MSDN has also a lot more docs available than just for Standard C++ Library.
One example is extensive C++ language reference (syntax, expressions,
statements, templates, exceptions etc.). In some cases you might need to
filter-out Microsoft specific extensions to C++, but they tend to be
well-marked.

cheers,
Marcin