Online Videos

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by DavidM, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    Hello - I recently purchased Camtasia for our training folks to begin
    recording videos on how to use various inhouse applications both for our
    customers and internal users that access our Extranet website.

    If anyone is familiar with Camtasia, they should know that it can output
    files in various formats... SWH, WMV, AVI, Quicktime, etc.

    I would like to output the files in SWH format since it includes a Flash
    interface with player controls, etc. There are limitations on the size of
    the video with this format. I'm not sure what they are right now.

    Anyway, I would like to begin publishing the videos to my website that is
    written in ASP.

    Can anyone give me any points in the best way to handle this or if there are
    any online tutorials or third party components for managing online content
    in this way.

    I realize I could create a table and assign various fields and simply put
    the content into the database. This is likely the best approach, but then I
    have to deal with an admin page because our end users won't have the ability
    to use Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer to update the table using raw
    SQL.

    I would like to use a format similar to lynda.com where I have the title of
    the video, along with each chapter broken down as separate videos.

    Finally, does anyone know of a way for me to determine the length of a
    video, WMV, SWH, etc. from ASP so I can display the length dynamically?

    Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

    DavidM, Sep 18, 2004

  2. "DavidM" <> wrote in message
    > Hello - I recently purchased Camtasia for our training folks to begin
    > recording videos on how to use various inhouse applications both for our
    > customers and internal users that access our Extranet website.
    >
    > If anyone is familiar with Camtasia, they should know that it can output
    > files in various formats... SWH, WMV, AVI, Quicktime, etc.
    >
    > I would like to output the files in SWH format since it includes a Flash
    > interface with player controls, etc. There are limitations on the size
    > of the video with this format. I'm not sure what they are right now.
    >
    > Anyway, I would like to begin publishing the videos to my website that is
    > written in ASP.
    >
    > Can anyone give me any points in the best way to handle this or if there
    > are any online tutorials or third party components for managing online
    > content in this way.
    >
    > I realize I could create a table and assign various fields and simply put
    > the content into the database. This is likely the best approach, but then
    > I have to deal with an admin page because our end users won't have the
    > ability to use Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer to update the table
    > using raw SQL.
    >
    > I would like to use a format similar to lynda.com where I have the title
    > of the video, along with each chapter broken down as separate videos.
    >
    > Finally, does anyone know of a way for me to determine the length of a
    > video, WMV, SWH, etc. from ASP so I can display the length dynamically?
    >
    > Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

    Take a look at Windows Sharepoint Services on Windows Server 2003/IIS 6. You
    can treat the videos as "documents" and create a library for them, which
    will also allow you to tag your custim meta-data (title, etc) to the files.
    WSS also has everything built-in so it's easy for you and your users to add
    and update meta-data and files w/o dealing directly with SQL.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 20, 2004