    message, or if there was something in JSP or HTML that I overlooked.

    Thanks,
    M@
    Matt, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Matt wrote:

    > Good Morning,
    >
    > A friend of mine asked me a question the other day and I am fairly stumped.
    > Is there a way to use the onLoad function to kick off a process on the
    > server while the page is being painted?

    OnLoad is called when the page has finished loading, usually that concides
    with finishing the painting since modern browsers start painting the page
    before it has finished loading.

    As for "kicking off" a server process, that should be possible by creating
    an Image object and assigning the servlet's URL to its src property.
    The same effect would be achieved by having a HTML image tag with width
    and height of 0 somewhere at the bottom of the page.
    Michael Borgwardt, Feb 25, 2004

  3. "Michael Borgwardt"...
    > Matt wrote:

    > > A friend of mine asked me a question the other day and I am fairly

    stumped.
    > > Is there a way to use the onLoad function to kick off a process on the
    > > server while the page is being painted?

    > OnLoad is called when the page has finished loading, usually that concides
    > with finishing the painting since modern browsers start painting the page
    > before it has finished loading.

    Are you speaking Java or JavaScript* Michael?

    I am familiar with the JS onLoad() function,
    but have never heard of an equivalent for
    applets..

    (In fact, I noted recently that the JS
    onLoad() function was called prior to
    Applets finishing their init(), which was
    most unhelpful to me for the problem
    I was working on)

    * And to the OP, if this is JS..
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.lang.javascript