Only English is Allowed

siLver

Hi there,

I need to create a asp page with fields like FirstName, LastName etc.
But this 2 fields only allow the user to enter english characters, no
chinese, no jap.. nothing else..

What is there that i must do to disable users from entering character other
then English??

Thanx lotz..

RegarDx..

Evertjan.

=?Utf-8?B?c2lMdmVy?= wrote on 09 jun 2006 in
I need to create a asp page with fields like FirstName, LastName etc.
But this 2 fields only allow the user to enter english characters, no
chinese, no jap.. nothing else..

What is there that i must do to disable users from entering character
other then English??

There are no "English characters",
unless you are one,
dear =?Utf-8?B?c2lMdmVy?=.

siLver

Hmm.. what i mean is to restrict users from entering chinese characrter etc.
So I only allow the user to enter English characters.

Is there any ways to 'disabled' the UTF8 etc. entry?

Thanx

RegarDx..

Steven Burn

You could use client-side JS and have it query an array on each key press,
but that seems a tad over-kill and unreliable

Alternatively, RegEx is capable of this, and example code is all over the
place if you're not already familiar with it. Would need to be done after
the forms submission though ....

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

siLver

Thanx for reply.. but i reali had no idea what's RegEx thot there is alot of
examples but it will be had for me to keep track or modify my site in future.
As i reali had no single idea how RegEx works.. N i don't have time to go
pick-up RegEx now..

Any idea how the JS should look like.. if i could used a JS to get the
result i need..

Thanx lotz..

Mike Brind

If you want help with javascript, try one of the javascript groups.
comp.language.javascript
microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
although they are likely to recommend clientside regular expressions.

I suggest that you look at RegExp. It's included in VBScript
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting051099.asp
and is easier to pick up than using ADO, IMHO. Your original post was
made days ago. You could have been an expert in it by now :)