onsgmls: cannot generate system identifier for document type "..."

Discussion in 'XML' started by felix.dorner@gmail.com, May 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi. I have problems validating the following document doc.xml using
    onsgmls. I call onsgmls like this:

    >onsgmls -s /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl doc.xml

    the output is:
    onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:19:W: cannot generate system identifier for
    document type "contacts"
    onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:14:0:E: reference to entity "contacts" for which no
    system identifier could be generated
    onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:0: entity was defined here

    doc.xml:

    <?xml version="1.1" ?>
    <!DOCTYPE contacts [
    <!ELEMENT contacts (contact*)>
    <!ELEMENT contact (name, email, phone, affiliation)>
    <!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT email (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT phone (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT affiliation (comp, cust_since, cust_until)>
    <!ELEMENT comp (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT cust_since (#PCDATA)>
    <!ELEMENT cust_until (#PCDATA)>
    <!ENTITY adoe "<comp>Doe
    Inc</comp><cust_since>10/2001</cust_since><cust_until>2/2005</cust_until>">
    <!ENTITY amar "<comp>Maryland
    Inc</comp><cust_since>2/2002</cust_since><cust_until/>">
    ]>
    <contacts>
    <contact>
    <name>John Doe</name>
    <email></email>
    <phone>0621/2040503</phone>
    <affiliation>&adoe;</affiliation>
    </contact>
    </contacts>

    I believe this document is valid. So the errors of onsgmls must be some
    kind of configuration problem. Can anyone tell me what onsgmls tries to
    do and why it fails validating the document?

    Thanks a lot.

    Felix

    , May 16, 2006

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    Re: onsgmls: cannot generate system identifier for document type"..."

    wrote:
    > Hi. I have problems validating the following document doc.xml using
    > onsgmls. I call onsgmls like this:
    >
    >> onsgmls -s /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl doc.xml

    Hmmm. It validates OK here, using the command

    onsgmls -wxml -s -E 5000 /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl test.xml

    which Emacs generates for me when I hit C-c C-v. And it also
    works without the -wxml.

    > the output is:
    > onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:19:W: cannot generate system identifier for
    > document type "contacts"
    > onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:14:0:E: reference to entity "contacts" for which no
    > system identifier could be generated
    > onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:0: entity was defined here

    Are you sure you're validating doc.xml?
    It looks like you're validating 1_3_b.xml which is a different file.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, May 16, 2006

    I found out that the error occurs only when I use the xml declaration
    in /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
    Using /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl does fine.

    Should the two files not define the 'same xml' ?

    felix

    , May 16, 2006
  4. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I found out that the error occurs only when I use the xml declaration
    > in /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
    > Using /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl does fine.
    >
    > Should the two files not define the 'same xml' ?

    Yes, but there are now several versions floating around the net because
    at the time of release, different editors supported (or didn't support)
    different things (like Unicode, for example). Sorry, I should have
    thought of this.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, May 17, 2006