onsgmls: cannot generate system identifier for document type "..."

felix.dorner

Hi. I have problems validating the following document doc.xml using
onsgmls. I call onsgmls like this:
onsgmls -s /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl doc.xml

the output is:
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:19:W: cannot generate system identifier for
document type "contacts"
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:14:0:E: reference to entity "contacts" for which no
system identifier could be generated
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:0: entity was defined here

doc.xml:

<?xml version="1.1" ?>
<!DOCTYPE contacts [
<!ELEMENT contacts (contact*)>
<!ELEMENT contact (name, email, phone, affiliation)>
<!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT email (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT phone (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT affiliation (comp, cust_since, cust_until)>
<!ELEMENT comp (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT cust_since (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT cust_until (#PCDATA)>
<!ENTITY adoe "<comp>Doe
Inc</comp><cust_since>10/2001</cust_since><cust_until>2/2005</cust_until>">
<!ENTITY amar "<comp>Maryland
Inc</comp><cust_since>2/2002</cust_since><cust_until/>">
]>
<contacts>
<contact>
<name>John Doe</name>
<email>[email protected]</email>
<phone>0621/2040503</phone>
<affiliation>&adoe;</affiliation>
</contact>
</contacts>

I believe this document is valid. So the errors of onsgmls must be some
kind of configuration problem. Can anyone tell me what onsgmls tries to
do and why it fails validating the document?

Thanks a lot.

Felix

Peter Flynn

Hi. I have problems validating the following document doc.xml using
onsgmls. I call onsgmls like this:

Hmmm. It validates OK here, using the command

onsgmls -wxml -s -E 5000 /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl test.xml

which Emacs generates for me when I hit C-c C-v. And it also
works without the -wxml.
the output is:
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:19:W: cannot generate system identifier for
document type "contacts"
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:14:0:E: reference to entity "contacts" for which no
system identifier could be generated
onsgmls:1_3_b.xml:2:0: entity was defined here

Are you sure you're validating doc.xml?
It looks like you're validating 1_3_b.xml which is a different file.

///Peter

felix.dorner

Hi,

I found out that the error occurs only when I use the xml declaration
in /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
Using /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl does fine.

Should the two files not define the 'same xml' ?

felix

Peter Flynn

Hi,

I found out that the error occurs only when I use the xml declaration
in /usr/share/sgml/xml.dcl
Using /usr/share/sgml/openjade-1.3.2/pubtext/xml.dcl does fine.

Should the two files not define the 'same xml' ?

Yes, but there are now several versions floating around the net because
at the time of release, different editors supported (or didn't support)
different things (like Unicode, for example). Sorry, I should have
thought of this.

///Peter