ontology for units of measurement and/or physical quantities

Robert Dodier

Hello,

I am interested in the problem of communicating physical quantities,
e.g. between a web service and its client.
I am sure there has been a lot of work on that,
so there seems no need for me to reinvent this wheel.
Googling brings up a lot of hits on different ideas,
but I can't tell what has really been put into practice.
Any light you can shed on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Dodier

Joe Kesselman

Websearch on "xml ontology physical unit" finds some work on this topic,
but I don't see anything clearly blessed as the Recommended Solution. I
haven't looked at any of them in detail, but I'd pay close attention to
anything from a government website or mentioned on the xml.org or w3.org
websites -- .gov because proposals there are likely to see some
real-world use before things get standardized, the latter two because
those are where where the advantages and disadvantages of the various
alternatives are likely to be most usefully debated on the way to
establishing a standard.