OO4O: ORA-12154 Error - TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

CJM

I have a working web application (ASP) which links to an Oracle 10g DB via
OO4O. I'm trying to port it to either of two test servers, but in fact, I
can't get it to work with either - 'Unable to make connection, ORA-12154:
TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified'. This error occurs
in the applications global.asa file where I'm trying to set up a connection
pool:

<object runat="Server" scope="Application" id="oSession"
progid="OracleInProcServer.XOraSession"></object>

<script runat="server" language="vbscript">
Sub Application_OnStart

oSession.CreateDatabasePool 2, 40, 200, "IFSP2", "uid/pwd", 0 <==
error occurs here

End Sub
</script>

I'm not sure where I have gone wrong. I originally installed the
InstantClient (and ODBC add-on) on it's own. I created SQL.ORA and
TNSNAMES.ORA files, and the NLS_LANG and TNS_ADMIN environment variables and
I prepended the Path environment variable with the path to the top-level
oracle folder. So far so good - I can create a DSN which connects to the DB
OK, and Oracle SQL Developer recognised the TNS names I supply and can
connect to the DB that way too.

I then installed the Oracle .NET tools package, which includes within it
Oracle Objects for OLE. The installation proceeded as expected, but short of
getting my application to work, I dont know of any way to confirm that it is
working.

The application itself is using Anonymous authentication for the time being,
though it will eventually be using Integrated Windows Authentication, so I
cant see the any problems server-side. What is more, I assume that OO4O is
reading the TNS names in the same way that the ODBC Administrator and Oracle
SQL Developer do, which makes this problem even more curious.

I've also tried the code listed below to see if a straight-forward
connection (as opposed to pooling) would work but it didnt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Test.asp:

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%

Option Explicit
Response.Expires = 0

Dim OraSession
Dim OraDatabase
Dim rsEntryTypes

%>
<!-- #include virtual='/common/oo4oglobals.asp' -->
<%

Set OraSession = Server.CreateObject("OracleInProcServer.XOraSession")
Set OraDatabase = OraSession.DbOpenDatabase("IFSP2", "uid/pwd",cint(0))

Response.Write "Connected to " & OraDatabase.Connect & "@" &
OraDatabase.DatabaseName
Response.Write "OO4O Version: " & OraSession.OIPVersionNumber
Response.Write "Oracle Version: " & OraDatabase.RDBMSVersion

Response.Write "End"
Set OraSession = nothing
Set OraDatabase = nothing
%>

CJM

Sybrand Bakker said:
This is the most often posted error, as all people running into this
problem think they are unique or are too lazy to search Google, or
the Troubleshooting Section of the Oracle Net administrators manual.

My suggestion is consequently obvious.

I would urge you (or anyone exposed to the Evil Empire of Bill Gates)
- to stop being lazy
- look up Oracle errors in the Oracle documentation
- search Google.

I would urge you to:
- Stop wasting bandwidth on slagging off Microsoft - do you think that your
opinion of Bill Gates should be a factor in my companies choice of platform
for an Oracle database?
- Stop acting pompous by accusing people of being lazy without due cause.
- Stop assuming that people haven't looked up the error in the Oracle
documentation - perhaps they have but either havent found the inspiration
they need or maybe they *do* have a 'unique' problem.
- Stop assuming that people havent searched google - perhaps they have but
haven't been able to find the signal within all that noise...

If you had bothered to actually read my post, it will have been apparent
from the information that I provided that I have been through some logical
steps to debug this problem. I've basically outlined my installation
procedure (which was the same as was done on my development server - which
*does* work), so it the problem is as common and routine as you suggest, the
solution should be fairly obvious - in which case, why not just say it.

Can anybody else reading this please assume that I've been looking in what I
think are the right places, and that I either haven't come across the right
solution or if I have, I haven't understood it.

CJM

Jim Kennedy

CJM said:
[...]

Can you connect from that machine via sqlplus using uid/pwd@ifsp2 ? If not
then solve that problem first.
Jim

Brian Peasland

CJM said:
[...]

I'm not an expert with ASP, but is IFSP2 the TNS entry you are using to
denote the database to connect to? If so, then verify that it is defined
correctly in your TNSNAMES.ORA configuration file. Also, verify that you
can TNSPING that entry, "tnsping ifsp2". If not, then you have either 1)
configured your tnsnames incorrectly, 2) have an incorrect sqlnet.ora
configuration file, or 3) your software cannot see these files.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.peasland.net

CJM

Brian Peasland said:
I'm not an expert with ASP, but is IFSP2 the TNS entry you are using to
denote the database to connect to? If so, then verify that it is defined
correctly in your TNSNAMES.ORA configuration file. Also, verify that you
can TNSPING that entry, "tnsping ifsp2". If not, then you have either 1)
configured your tnsnames incorrectly, 2) have an incorrect sqlnet.ora
configuration file, or 3) your software cannot see these files.

Yes, IFSP2 is the DB alias. It is defined correctly - AFAIK, the test server
was set up the same way as the development server, and shares the same
TNSNAMES.ORA file (and other config).

I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases resolve to
the right locations.

I'm not sure, but I think I have made some progress... I'll post back
if/when I can confirm it.

Thanks for your response, Brian.

Chris

CJM

Jim Kennedy said:
Can you connect from that machine via sqlplus using uid/pwd@ifsp2 ? If
not
then solve that problem first.
Jim

I haven't tried SQLPlus yet (not really up to speed on it) but I can TNSPING
the DB and the same page also connects via ADO (using the same TNS names) so
they appear to be configured correctly.

As I've just mentioned to Brian, I think I may have made some progress, so
I'll review my position if/when I confirm this.

CJM

sybrandb

CJM said:
[...]

Quoting from your further contributions in this thread

'I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases
resolve to
the right locations.'

So obviously my assumptions weren't assumptions. I was correct, and you
just weren't speaking the truth, trying to coerce people to do your
work for free.

As for being pompous, I doubt whether I am pompous, but I'm not so sure
about you.
Your insults were just plain unjustified, and my assumptions were
correct.
You didn't look up the error in any Oracle manual, or you would have
known about tnsping.

CJM

sybrandb said:
Quoting from your further contributions in this thread

'I didnt know about TNSPING, but it worked a treat - all aliases
resolve to
the right locations.'

So obviously my assumptions weren't assumptions. I was correct, and you
just weren't speaking the truth,

Really?

Your assumptions were wrong.

I was speaking the truth:
- I did google for help prior to posting.
- I did check my off-line Oracle documentation
- I did check on-line Oracle documentation
- Searched previous posts in this NG

As for TNSPING, it didnt demonstrate the problem nor find the solution. More
specifically the Oracle page dedicated to the error doesnt suggest using
TNSPING for anything
(http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/troublestng.htm#CEGJAGGH).
Nor does this page:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14219/net12150.htm#ORA-12154.

Or this:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/gateways.102/b16222/net.htm#sthref484

Moreover, my OP clearly states that I succeeded in defining and using a
System DSN - in essence this proves the same as TNSPING - that the listener
is available and working and that the TNS names are correctly configured.

Even now you have no idea as to the cause of the problem. It seems a reboot
solved the problem, but why? So while hardly unique, it appears the problem
was non-standard and I was right to consult my peers within this group. No
amount of searching online was likely to reveal the solution.
trying to coerce people to do your
work for free.

Coerce: verb; to achieve by force or threat.

Hmmm....

I haven't issued any threats as far as I know, but I was certainly trying to
get my peers in this group to help me. For free, too. [The cheek of it! -
Ed.]

Although they never came up with the solution, they were potentially going
to save me some work. But surely that is the purpose of these peer-support
newsgroups?

Moreover, I always try to help at least one person each time someone helps
me. Obviously, not being an Oracle expert, I'm not much help here, but
hopefully there might be a grateful recipient in one of the other NGs I
frequent.
As for being pompous, I doubt whether I am pompous, but I'm not so sure
about you.
Your insults were just plain unjustified,

Whether it is an insult depends on whether you *are* pompous or not.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...21?lnk=gst&q=Sybrand&rnum=13#7a2066eafb253721

The general concensus seems to be that you have the right aptitude but the
wrong attitude.

I think every technical NG has someone like you, which must be reassuring
for you, if not for the rest of us. I'll let each other participant in this
NG make up their own minds as to what you are. And what I may be for that
matter.

http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_47.php
...and my assumptions were
correct.
You didn't look up the error in any Oracle manual, or you would have
known about tnsping.

Er, yeah... so you said.

Thanks once again to those who did their best to help.

Chris