    The page is an INTERN html page at work and instead of linking every
    document in that folder I only want people to click on a link and then
    the folder will be open!

    baiaz, Nov 10, 2006

  2. baiaz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    baiaz wrote:

    > I am wondering how I can open a folder from a HTML page?

    On the server or on the user's machine ?

    If it's on the server, then set up a link in your HTML like this

    files</a> directory</p>

    Then configure your server so that:
    * There's no default HTML index page in there
    * The server can give you a directory listing (most already can)
    * The "allow browse access to directories" security option on the
    server is configured to allow this.

    Andy Dingley, Nov 10, 2006

  3. baiaz

    baiaz Guest

    Yea.. the folder is on the same server as the page... BUT there is
    something else also....

    The thing is that I am using WORD - to make this page.. but maybe I
    have to put the page into dreamweaver and code it?

    Morten

    baiaz, Nov 10, 2006
  4. baiaz wrote:
    > Yea.. the folder is on the same server as the page... BUT there is
    > something else also....
    >
    > The thing is that I am using WORD - to make this page..

    Ugh! No do not use Word, use Word for your office documents, not to make
    web pages

    > but maybe I
    > have to put the page into dreamweaver and code it?

    Well, but with the sounds of your skill level, Dreamweaver will probably
    not produce a page much better. NVu or another editor like it would
    produce a page with better markup, but as Andy stated you can create a
    link to a folder, but your server *must* be configured to allow indexes.
    Most modern setups of webservers have indexes off by default for
    security reasons, you will have to refer to your system admin or hosting
    company documentation. If indexes are off you cannot list a folders
    contents with a simple link to that folder. You will either have to
    allow indexes with a special configuration file (.htaccess on Apache),
    or have a server-side script that builds an index webpage. Otherwise
    your only other option is to build a static page and manually list all
    the files within the folder

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 10, 2006
  5. baiaz

    Andy Dingley Guest

    baiaz wrote:

    > The thing is that I am using WORD - to make this page..

    Better stop that, or you'll go blind.

    You don't need to "make a page". The "page" we're discussing here is
    made for you automatically by the webserver each time someone tries to
    look at the directory contents (web servers are helpful that way,
    although it's just a pretty crude and simple page).

    There's also a page that tells your users the link to this
    folder-viewing page. You need to add that to your existing pages, but
    I'm sure even Word will let you paste a hyperlink into it, with your
    choice of target URL.

    ....but stop "writing" "HTML" with Word. It truly is a foul way to be
    doing it.

    Andy Dingley, Nov 10, 2006