    terminal window.
    Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

    Thanks
    gaurav kashyap, Oct 31, 2008

  2. gaurav kashyap

    Steve Holden Guest

    Re: open a new terminal window from another terminal window inlinux/unix system

    gaurav kashyap wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
    > server and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.
    >
    > What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
    > terminal window.
    > Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

    Please stop spamming this list with the same question, and one not
    concerning Python at that. For what it is worth I doubt any solution to
    your problem is readily available, and repeated queries on irrelevant
    lists are unlikely to earn you much positive karma.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Oct 31, 2008

  3. gaurav kashyap

    Tim Golden Guest

    gaurav kashyap wrote:
    > I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
    > server and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.
    >
    > What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
    > terminal window.
    > Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

    If you'd posted this description of of the situation about 2 days
    ago, you'd have had a *much* better chance of getting a useful
    answer. I don't think I'd have guessed in a million years that
    this was what you were trying to do!

    In short, there's no command you can type *inside Python*,
    *on a remote box* which will cause Putty or Windows or
    anything on your local PC to open another Window. I'd
    be seriously worried if there were!

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Oct 31, 2008
  4. gaurav kashyap

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 31 Okt, 10:50, Tino Wildenhain <> wrote:
    > gaurav kashyap wrote:
    > > I am using Microsoft Windows XP.Using putty.exe,I connected to LINUX
    > > server  and a terminal window gets opened.Here i logeed in as root.

    As pointed out already, root privileges should be used with caution,
    especially if you don't really know what you're doing.

    > > What i want to do is open another terminal window from already opened
    > > terminal window.

    > Ugh. As others said and I already guessed, this has nothing to do with
    > python.

    It does, albeit tangentially, if the inquirer is looking for a way of
    doing this conveniently within a Python program.

    > While this is totally unrelated to this list I'll help you going
    > into the right direction (but you need to walk yourself):
    >
    > http://x.cygwin.com/
    >
    > Basically you would install the x window system and some shell
    > tools (including openssh client) and then log into the
    > remote box and start any x window application, also as many
    > terminals as you can carry. (especially look out for
    > x-session forwarding etc.)

    Agreed. This is the most obvious solution. I imagine that there may be
    all sorts of alternatives, some based on X, others based on other
    protocols (RDP, NX, perhaps), but SSH with X is commonplace in the
    free UNIX world these days, and that pretty much sets the agenda for
    all the other UNIX flavours as well.

    > > Can this be achieved.If yes,please provide a tested solution

    > Ah tested. Haha. Yes many people have done it, so its tested.
    >
    > If you provide a contract and pay money you should also be able to
    > get someone to configure the system in the way you want it :)

    Indeed. :)

    Returning to the Python aspect, however, there probably isn't a
    convenient way of just opening the "best" console/terminal program,
    mostly because there isn't really a convenient way of doing so outside
    Python. The xdg-utils package, which attempts to provide cross-desktop
    services as a set of programs, doesn't cover the opening of terminal
    windows, and it's probably a fair amount of work to inspect the
    environment and inquire about the user's preferred terminal program
    for all possible desktop environments, assuming that they all expose
    this information conveniently.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Oct 31, 2008