open a remote directory location

systmster

I have a network share \\server1\share1

I have all the permission set correctly for open access to everyone.

Now on the Intranet I want to provide a link to that location and have
it open up a file browser window… just like it would if I was to point
it to c:\temp

Nobody has the server location mapped as a drive...

How can I get a remote location to open up in a file window?

Matt - EditMe.com

If you want to link to a network file server that doesn't have an HTTP
server running on it, try this:

This will only work on Windows and with Internet Explorer. If you want
it to work cross-platform or in Mozilla, you'd need an HTTP server
running on the file server.

Cheers,
Matt

Toby Inkster

Matt said:
If you want it to work cross-platform or in Mozilla, you'd need an HTTP
server running on the file server.

Nope -- you need an HTTP server running *somewhere*.

At work I show the contents of a network share as a web page. The file
server is not running an HTTP server. However, another machine *is*
running an HTTP server and has the file share mounted.

Matt

Of course... I forgot that *nix can do that. An IIS server can't serve
stuff over a "mapped drive"... at least it's something that MS doesn't
"support". : )

Matt