Open an old project in a new VS2003 environment

Guest

Hi,

I've had a hd crash (with proper data backup) and I wonder what way would be
the best way to set up an old project with all code from a backup hd in a new
vs.net2003 environment?

TIA

Kenneth P

Craig Deelsnyder

Hi,

I've had a hd crash (with proper data backup) and I wonder what way
would be
the best way to set up an old project with all code from a backup hd in
a new
vs.net2003 environment?

TIA

Kenneth P

Assuming it's not too complicated of a ASP.NET project, just copy the
files somewhere on your PC. You need to create the same web application
URL on your new PC. If you don't remember it, open up the .csproj.webinfo
(C#) or .vbproj.webinfo (VB.NET) file in notepad and you'll see the URL
your project was using.

The easiest way to recreate this may be to open VS.NET and create a new
Empty Web Project application with that URL. Then close VS.NET and delete
all the files it created in the folder, replacing them with the ones you
have.

From that point on, you'll need to address any specifics of your app
(database paths, file paths that may have been absolute/hardcoded, VSS
setup, etc.)

Guest

Hi Craig,

It helped me halfway.

Yesterday I tried to create a solution in vs.net2003 (vb). I already had a
project with that name both in IIS and vs.net, so I got a new project with
the same name but a new number(2), and today I got even number (3), and when
I tried to run it I got errors saying it couldn't find the project.

So I need a way to delete old projects from the vs.net2003 environment,
which you perhaps could help me with.

I think I can manage deleting the project from IIS.

Kenneth P

Guest

Hi Craig,

Yesterday I found a way to manually completely delete a project from
vs.net2003.

I then created a new project by choosing Visual Basic Project => Empty Web
Project and naming it what URL in .vbproj.webinfo told me to name it to.

Then I started to add all folders and files manually to it by using the
Solution Explorer and add existing items.

When I try to run the app I get a dialog saying, "There are errors..." and I
continue and a server error in '/myproj' application shows up like this:

Parser Error
Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'DiskoWeb.Global'.
Source Error:
Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb"
Inherits="DiskoWeb.Global" %>
Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\DiskoWeb\global.asax Line: 1
Version:1.1.4322.573
The Global.asax.vb is there and although I get this error. When I try to
edit the Global.asax file the system says I can't and shows a "Global.asax.vb
[Design]" as the file name without any possibilities to edit the file. When I
edit Global.asax in Notepad I can read:

<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="DiskoWeb.Global" %>

Any ideas?

TIA

Kenneth P

Guest

Hi again,

Oh, I forgot to tell you that if I use Asp.Net WebMatrix everything just
goes very well, but again, I can't use code behind in webmatrix.

Another issue with webmatrix is that every instance of the swdish characters
"ÅÄÖ" disappears from the code when opening any file (created with
vs.net2002(2003)) in webmatrix!!!

Kenneth P

Guest

Try this :
- Copy the Folder containing your Project to inetpub wwwroot.
- open IIS MMC and than locate ur folder and than open its properties.
- On Directory tab, click on "Create" tab and you are ready to go.

Guest

You wrote "Then close VS.NET and delete all the files it created in the
folder, replacing them with the ones you have."

Where can I find the folder with all the files was created?

Kenneth P

Guest

You wrote "On Directory tab, click on "Create" tab and you are ready to go"

There's no Directory Tab, no Create tab.

I use IIS5 on a W2k OS computer.

Regards,
Kenneth P

Guest

- Click on Start Menu -> Run
- Type inetmgr
- It will open IIS Snap In.
- on the Left Hand Side you'll see Explorer Like Interface.
- Navigate to Web Sites -> Default Web Site -> and find the Folder having
your project files
- Right Click on that Folder and Click on properties.
- On Directory tab, click on "Create" tab and click on Ok.