open asp.net page from desktop

Loane Sharp

Hi there
Is it possible to open an .aspx page from an icon placed on the desktop?
Best regards
Loane

darrenkopp

If by open you mean to have it open in a browser with the output on the
screen then the answer is no. The reason is that the browser does not
know how to handle the file, it's not standard markup. To have the
output show as youi intend it to, it must be parsed and/or executed by
the .NET and then the output is rendered and sent to the browser.

You need to either run through IIS, or another application that will
handle this for you (another server like IIS is the web server included
with the visual web designer/web matrix.)

Hope this helps,
Darren Kopp

Loane Sharp

Hi Darren
What if I make the shortcut point to an HTML file (since this is really just
an entry-point to an ASP.NET application)?
Best regards
Loane

Loane Sharp

I get a dialog box saying:

http://127.0.0.1/index.aspx

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I created associations for .aspx files and Internet Explorer. But still the
error.

Any ideas?
Best regards

Darren Kopp

I am assuming that you are not trying to link directly to the file.

What you want to do is open your web browser, and browse to the page
you would like to link to. Now what I typically do is just go to the
address bar, and right next to the Url there is a small icon, just drag
that to your desktop and it should associate both the link to that
location as well as the program.

Alternatively, if using Internet Explorer, try File > Send > Shortcut
to desktop.

Hope this works for you,
Darren Kopp