Open AVI with QuickTime

Discussion in 'HTML' started by MM, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. MM

    MM Guest

    Hi,

    I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is as
    follows:

    <EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">

    If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
    Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
    However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
    instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
    see it, compared to Media Player.

    I tried the following without any luck:

    <EMBED SRC="movie.avi" TYPE="video/quicktime"
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/">

    Thanks in advance,

    MM
    MM, Dec 10, 2004

  2. MM

    Spartanicus Guest

    "MM" <> wrote:

    >I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is as
    >follows:
    >
    > <EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">

    Link, don't embed:
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

    >If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
    >Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
    >However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
    >instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
    >see it, compared to Media Player.

    Leave the choice of media player to the user, don't attempt to force
    your preference onto someone else.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Dec 10, 2004

  3. MM

    Richard Guest

    MM wrote:

    > Hi,

    > I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is
    > as follows:

    > <EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">

    > If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
    > Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
    > However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
    > instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
    > see it, compared to Media Player.

    > I tried the following without any luck:

    > <EMBED SRC="movie.avi" TYPE="video/quicktime"
    > PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/">

    > Thanks in advance,

    > MM

    Actually, the default viewer is Divx. WMP just happens to be able to view
    them.
    And there are several types of AVI files.
    The page you are linking to is the information page for the viewer and not
    the viewer itself.
    That would be a nasty no no anyway as you would be stealing bandwidth, not
    to mention services.

    Do recall that any file needs to be downloaded locally unless it is a
    streaming file.
    So if your visitor activates the video link, they have to wait awhile for it
    to load.
    On dialup, a large file could take forever.
    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  4. In article <AWiud.3160$>,
    says...

    > I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage.

    If you want to "embed" the video in your page, that is, you want the
    player to be integrated with the page, then you want to use the object
    tag to open the layer of your choice. Then you load the file into the
    player.

    Otherwise just have a link to it. Or maybe have a link to it anyway.

    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 11, 2004
  5. MM

    Toby Inkster Guest

    MM wrote:

    > If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
    > Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
    > However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
    > instead (assuming the user has QT installed)?

    Embed a movie like this:

    <object type="video/x-msvideo" data="myfile.avi" height="120" width="160">
    </object>

    The browser will then embed the video using the user's chosen plugin, and
    if that is not possible will show the paragraph including the text link.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Dec 11, 2004