Open AVI with QuickTime

MM

Hi,

I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is as
follows:

<EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">

If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
see it, compared to Media Player.

I tried the following without any luck:

<EMBED SRC="movie.avi" TYPE="video/quicktime"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/">

Thanks in advance,

MM

Spartanicus

MM said:
I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is as
follows:

<EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">

Link, don't embed:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo
If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
see it, compared to Media Player.

Leave the choice of media player to the user, don't attempt to force
your preference onto someone else.

Richard

MM said:
I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage. One way of doing this is
as follows:
<EMBED SRC="movie.avi" PLUGINSPAGE="foo.html">
If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
instead (assuming the user has QT installed)? QT has many advantages as I
see it, compared to Media Player.
I tried the following without any luck:
<EMBED SRC="movie.avi" TYPE="video/quicktime"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/">
Thanks in advance,

Actually, the default viewer is Divx. WMP just happens to be able to view
them.
And there are several types of AVI files.
The page you are linking to is the information page for the viewer and not
the viewer itself.
That would be a nasty no no anyway as you would be stealing bandwidth, not
to mention services.

Do recall that any file needs to be downloaded locally unless it is a
streaming file.
So if your visitor activates the video link, they have to wait awhile for it
to load.
On dialup, a large file could take forever.

Travis Newbury

I want to embed an AVI movie file in my webpage.

If you want to "embed" the video in your page, that is, you want the
player to be integrated with the page, then you want to use the object
tag to open the layer of your choice. Then you load the file into the
player.

Otherwise just have a link to it. Or maybe have a link to it anyway.

Toby Inkster

MM said:
If I do so I assume that for most people the movie will open in WIndows
Media Player, since this is usually the default player for AVI files.
However, is there any way I can make the movie open in QuickTime Player
instead (assuming the user has QT installed)?

Embed a movie like this:

<object type="video/x-msvideo" data="myfile.avi" height="120" width="160">
</object>

The browser will then embed the video using the user's chosen plugin, and
if that is not possible will show the paragraph including the text link.