"Open" banned on procedures - Is this an LRM thing?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Tricky, Aug 23, 2012.

  1. Tricky

    Tricky Guest

    So I have the following code:

    architecture rtl of play_TB is

    procedure proc(signal a,b : out std_logic) is
    begin
    a <= '1';
    b <= '0';
    end proc;

    signal c : std_logic;

    begin

    process
    begin
    proc(open, c);

    wait;
    end process;

    end rtl;

    And Modelsim says this:

    # ** Error: play_TB.vhd(27): (vcom-1037) Signal formal "a" has OPEN or no actual associated with it.
    #
    # ** Error: play_TB.vhd(32): VHDL Compiler exiting
    # D:/modeltech_pe_10.1c/win32pe/vcom failed.

    is this an LRM thing? why can you leave connections to Entities "open" whenyou cant leave procedures open? I have at least one instance where I only need half the signals from a procedure connected, but because of this feature, I have to create dummy signals so the modelsim compiler doesnt complain..

    Tricky, Aug 23, 2012

  2. Tricky

    Andy Guest

    On Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:26:10 AM UTC-5, Tricky wrote:
    > So I have the following code: architecture rtl of play_TB is procedure proc(signal a,b : out std_logic) is begin a <= '1'; b <= '0'; end proc; signal c : std_logic; begin process begin proc(open, c); wait; end process; end rtl; And Modelsim says this: # ** Error: play_TB.vhd(27): (vcom-1037) Signal formal "a" has OPEN or no actual associated with it. # # ** Error: play_TB.vhd(32): VHDL Compiler exiting # D:/modeltech_pe_10.1c/win32pe/vcom failed. is this an LRM thing? why can you leave connections to Entities "open" when you cant leave procedures open? I have at least one instance where I only need half the signals from a procedure connected, but because of this feature, I have to create dummy signals so the modelsim compiler doesnt complain.

    Yes, its an "LRM thing".

    You only need to create one dummy signal (since it is resolved).

    Andy

    Andy, Aug 25, 2012