open default MUA with a hyper link

Yann.K

Hello.

I would like to do a hypertext link on a GUI, which launch a per default
mail user agent (with the "to" header documented).
To launch an url in a web browser i use webbrowser.open(url).
Do exist an equivalent command to run the per default MUA (like ie
webbrowser.mail_open([email protected])?

Thank's for your help.

Jp Calderone

Yann.K said:
Hello.

I would like to do a hypertext link on a GUI, which launch a per default
mail user agent (with the "to" header documented).
To launch an url in a web browser i use webbrowser.open(url).
Do exist an equivalent command to run the per default MUA (like ie
webbrowser.mail_open([email protected])?

Thank's for your help.

webbrowser.open("mailto:[email protected]") gives me a mozilla
browser and a mozilla compose window. I don't know of an existing way
to do better than that.

Jp

Yann.K

Jp said:
Yann.K wrote:
webbrowser.open("mailto:[email protected]") gives me a mozilla
browser and a mozilla compose window. I don't know of an existing way
to do better than that.
Yes i tried already that, but it isn't very nice: two window for one
required...

Regards.

Nemesis

:

[opening the default MUA]
webbrowser.open("mailto:[email protected]") gives me a mozilla
browser and a mozilla compose window. I don't know of an existing way
to do better than that.

How can I use this syntax in order to specify also the body of the
mail?

Alex Martelli

Nemesis said:
:

[mailto trick]
Study the mailto: syntax on any HTML reference, e.g.
http://docs.intellifuzz.com/readmore.php?p=39

Thank you for the link.
I tried that syntax, but it seems that Internet Explorer
doesn't support multiline bodies :-/

Your choice is then to either upgrade to a better browser (IE has been
stagnant in features for years, resting on its laurels) or to drive IE
more intimately and "proprietarily" -- with win32com you can probably
make it turn somersaults, although your hair will whiten considerably
while you learn how to do so.

Alex

Nemesis

Alex Martelli said:
Your choice is then to either upgrade to a better browser (IE has been
stagnant in features for years, resting on its laurels) or to drive IE
more intimately and "proprietarily" -- with win32com you can probably
make it turn somersaults, although your hair will whiten considerably
while you learn how to do so.

Actually I use Firebird ;-)
I'm studying this syntax in order to implement it in XPN, the newsreader
I'm writing. I'd like to use it when the article has a

So I need a simple and multiplatform solution.

However I found that I can use an encoded form of the newline (%0A) that
works with IE (I haven't tried yet with different browsers).I think I'll
use the urllib.quote function in order to obtain this coding.

Alex Martelli

Nemesis said:
Actually I use Firebird ;-)

Nice database engine, but not much of a browser. Maybe you mean
Firefox;-?
I'm studying this syntax in order to implement it in XPN, the newsreader
I'm writing. I'd like to use it when the article has a

So I need a simple and multiplatform solution.

However I found that I can use an encoded form of the newline (%0A) that
works with IE (I haven't tried yet with different browsers).I think I'll
use the urllib.quote function in order to obtain this coding.

Sounds sensible, offhand.

Alex

Nemesis

Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Alex Martelli" scriveva:
Nice database engine, but not much of a browser. Maybe you mean
Firefox;-?

You are right, but once Firefox was called Firebird, and before that it
was called Phoenix :)
Sounds sensible, offhand.

I changed my mind of course :-D
Now I'm working to implement a simple mail support in XPN using smptlib.
:)