Open Education in Python

Maboroshi

Hi I was interested in starting an online open education center focusing
on the Python language. This center would consist of beginning to
advanced computer science courses using the programming language Python
its primary goal would be to create a community of students and teachers
who actively discuss in newsgroups write articles give online lectures
and more.

How it would work: It would work on a what you put into the community is
what you get out of it bases. No money would be collected

This has not been entirely thought out as I am just putting the feelers
out and want to see what the python community thinks about it.

Any ideas questions comments should be addressed to

maboroshiATdccnetDOTcom

or posted to this message

Cheers

Andrew

Elaine Jackson

| Hi I was interested in starting an online open education center focusing
| on the Python language. <snip>
| Any ideas questions comments should be ... posted to this message

Sounds like a good idea.

Benjamin Walkenhorst

This has not been entirely thought out as I am just putting the
feelers out and want to see what the python community thinks about it.

I like the idea, I'd like to hear more about it.
I just hope this thing won't be exclusive towards hobbyist... =)

Kind regards,
Benjamin

Gabriel Cooper

Maboroshi said:
Hi I was interested in starting an online open education center
focusing on the Python language. This center would consist of
beginning to advanced computer science courses using the programming
language Python its primary goal would be to create a community of
students and teachers who actively discuss in newsgroups write
articles give online lectures and more.

How it would work: It would work on a what you put into the community
is what you get out of it bases. No money would be collected

This has not been entirely thought out as I am just putting the
feelers out and want to see what the python community thinks about it.
Let me know if this happens, it sounds very cool. It could work quite
well, considering that those who go through the lower courses would then
be able to teach them/moderate them or their help boards. You could even
work out some kind of round-robin system among the students where those
that sign up to take a course volunteer to be the primary contact for
discussions/help/Q&A/etc for a day. It would help them stay motivated
(since generally motivation comes from not wanting to lose $$ or the
knowledge that a grade later counts towards something, and since neither
exist, some users might need that small bit of help to stay on-task) and
provide for a self-sustaining base for discussion and homework help.

Gabriel.

Bengt Richter

Hi I was interested in starting an online open education center focusing
on the Python language. This center would consist of beginning to
advanced computer science courses using the programming language Python
its primary goal would be to create a community of students and teachers
who actively discuss in newsgroups write articles give online lectures
and more.
There may be stuff to draw on at the intellectual goodie-store

http://ocw.mit.edu

and specifically

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/index.htm

though googling python site:eek:cw.mit.edu only got 12 hits. But there is plenty of CS ;-)

How it would work: It would work on a what you put into the community is
what you get out of it bases. No money would be collected

This has not been entirely thought out as I am just putting the feelers
out and want to see what the python community thinks about it.
I have often thought a technical reading club could be a way to learn a lot
(and sell some books by c.l.py authors ;-) IOW, I think there is a lot already
written (and free on line in the case of ocw.mit.edu) by really sharp people
that could provide starting discussion bases faster than new essays by volunteers.

That's not to say everything has been said. Far from it. But the advantage of
academic and quasi-academic stuff is some vetting and probably more consistent
terminology, which leads to less misunderstandings about words. The downside
of well-organized didactic material is of course that it makes cognitive frames
that are sometimes hard to escape, to explore new territory (or even see it).

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Maboroshi

Hey Thanks thats cool that there is some people out there who think this
is a good idea

I am writing a game plan write now hopefully everything will work out

Cheers

Andrew