"Open-end" Java-session / dynamic compilation and execution

Jesper Sahner

Hi!

I want to make a kind of inter-active "open-end" Java-session, where a
user can enter lines that are compiled and executed on the fly.

This means that I need a running Java-session which can be stopped and
started, and furthermore it should be possible to compile and execute
the code dynamically as the user enters lines to the application.

The basic functionality is somewhat similar to debugging, but the
dynamic compilation-part may be different, I think.

I need a little inspiration on how such an "open-end" application
could be designed.

Regards,
Jesper

Rhino

Jesper Sahner said:
Hi!

I want to make a kind of inter-active "open-end" Java-session, where a
user can enter lines that are compiled and executed on the fly.

This means that I need a running Java-session which can be stopped and
started, and furthermore it should be possible to compile and execute
the code dynamically as the user enters lines to the application.

The basic functionality is somewhat similar to debugging, but the
dynamic compilation-part may be different, I think.

I need a little inspiration on how such an "open-end" application
could be designed.
What you're after already exists. It's called 'the command line'.

You launch the editor of your choice from the command line, enter your code,
and close the edit session. Then you type the command that compiles the
program on your command line. Then, assuming the code compiled successfully,
you execute your program from the command line.

Rhino