    How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
    be, but the window is supposed to be small.

    TIA

    Freshman, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Freshman

    rf Guest

    "Freshman" <> wrote in message
    news:b5zdb.1652$...
    > Hi
    >
    > How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it

    should
    > be, but the window is supposed to be small.

    Hmmm. Could you specify exactly how small, or big, you want this window to
    be? Small? Smaller? Smallest?

    What exactly are you trying to do?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Freshman

    brucie Guest

    In post <b5zdb.1652$>
    Freshman said...

    [Open link in new window and the window is small]

    > How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
    > be, but the window is supposed to be small.

    you don't need to know how to do that. allow the visitor the choice of
    opening a new window or not. if they choose to do so they can size the
    window to their own preference.

    --
    28/September/2003 09:33:27 pm

    brucie, Sep 28, 2003
  4. Freshman

    Freshman Guest

    Yes, I think you're probably right actually. Sorry I think my brain was on
    standby mode earlier.

    Freshman, Sep 28, 2003
  5. Freshman

    DU Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > In post <b5zdb.1652$>
    > Freshman said...
    >
    > [Open link in new window and the window is small]
    >

    >>How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
    >>be, but the window is supposed to be small.

    > you don't need to know how to do that. allow the visitor the choice of
    > opening a new window or not.

    A good coding of secondary windows will not limit the user's choices and
    value would.

    if they choose to do so they can size the
    > window to their own preference.

    I agree with you on granting all the time window resizability to
    secondary windows but the creation and opening of such secondary window
    will still need to have initial dimensions. If and since such window
    will be resizable, then why not provide initial window dimensions which
    are likely to make sense for the user?

    The FAQ is wrong in a few spots IMO:
    Why is Javascript so evil?
    "Windows presized to some size the user don't want."
    http://www.html-faq.com/scriptingbasics/?javascriptisevil

    I think we need to create a page where all these answers (which repeat
    themselves all the time, every week) could be found so that we can
    direct people to such page. My feeling is that regulars of both alt.html
    and comp.lang.javascript need to create a competition to crummy, crappy,
    Krusty-the-clown scripts found at javascript copy-N-paste sites.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Sep 28, 2003
  6. Freshman

    DU Guest

    Freshman wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > How does one do that. I don't mean that the window is smaller than it should
    > be, but the window is supposed to be small.
    >
    > TIA

    The smaller a secondary window is, the less relevant and the less
    justified it is to create it: the more an alternative to secondary
    window should be considered. The code (in the browser executable)
    involved to open a single secondary window ranges from 2000 lines to
    4000 lines of C++ and involve all kinds of code branchings, functions,
    many library calls, multiple security checking, memory management.

    If you normally (per your own website analysis) expect a secondary
    window to exist for the user no more than 2 sec., then maybe you should
    not resort to a secondary window. It does not seem justify to use system
    resources for so little.

    If you're going to create a secondary window, then the user ought to
    know in advance about this and it ought to be justified too from a
    website perspective, from an usability, accessibility and user system
    resources perspectives.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: