Open mail and attache document!

Hans

Hi!

I don't think this is possible but I have a report that is created in XML
and transformed to html using XSL. Is it possible to add a link in this
report that will mail itself (the report as an attachment)? I can add text
in the subject line and the body but I cannot attache the report itself. If
it is not possible to attache the report is it possible to "steal" the
entire html from the report and insert that into the body of the email (I
guess this is limited in length since I am using the mailto and add the
subject and body on the querystring and the querystring is limited in
length)?

An IE solution is acceptable (version 5.5+) even though a solution that
works on Netscape 7+ (Mozilla) as well would be better

Regards
/Hans

Andrew Poulos

With a "standard" Mozilla install on Win XP how can I detect whether or
not MZ can play/display a specific media file type, for example WMA and
WMV files?

Andrew Poulos

Hans

Andrew Poulos said:
With a "standard" Mozilla install on Win XP how can I detect whether or
not MZ can play/display a specific media file type, for example WMA and
WMV files?

I guess this should be in a new thread?

/Hans

Hans

If my Outlook Express has not gone crazy you have added your question about
"Test for media file..." as an answer to my question "Open mail and attache
document". I guess what you wanted is to create a new question?

I don't know which newsreader you are using but if you use OE you may have
clicked the "Reply group" when you entered your question instead of "New
Post"?

Regards
/Hans

Michael Winter

[off-topic reply]
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're talking about.

You replied to Hans' post, rather than starting your own thread.

Mike

Randy Webb

Hans said:
Hi!

I don't think this is possible but I have a report that is created in XML
and transformed to html using XSL. Is it possible to add a link in this
report that will mail itself (the report as an attachment)?

No. And thats assuming that you even manage to open an email window.
I can add text in the subject line and the body but I cannot attache
the report itself.

While it may indeed "work" on your computer, I promise your mailto:
doesn't work on mine. Nor does it work for anybody that either uses
web-based email or does not have an email client associated with the
browser.

If it is not possible to attache the report is it possible to "steal" the
entire html from the report and insert that into the body of the email (I
guess this is limited in length since I am using the mailto and add the
subject and body on the querystring and the querystring is limited in
length)?

Use a form, put the contents of the report in a textarea, submit the
form. Let the server send the mail.

Hans

Hi Randy!
No. And thats assuming that you even manage to open an email window.
That will not be a problem. This is not a public site it is an inhouse where
all have Outlook installed as the main mailclient.

While it may indeed "work" on your computer, I promise your mailto:
doesn't work on mine. Nor does it work for anybody that either uses
web-based email or does not have an email client associated with the
browser.
I agree that a server side solution would be better in a solution that
should be placed public but in my case this is not an issue. To send the
message from the server may be an alternative anyway if there is no way of
attaching the report client side. I just wanted to now if there exist a way
of doing it client side since everything is working now except the
attachment of the report to the mail. No need to create server side code if
there exist a client side way of solving the issue, but if this is not
possible a server side solution may be the way to go. I did not expect to
find a client side solution but if there exist one I thought I would get an
answer here.

Regards
/Hans