Open new maximized window

Mateo

Hi!

I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

Any idea how to do this?

Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with window.open?

I prefere multibrowser solution....

Thanx,
Mateo

Randy Webb

Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
Hi!

I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
Any idea how to do this?

You can't.
Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with window.open?
No.

I prefere multibrowser solution....

Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
here so I can disable it in my browser?

Dennis Willson

Randy said:
Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:

It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.

You can't.
Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be
maximized, but it would use the whole screen.

Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
here so I can disable it in my browser?
Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

Randy Webb

Dennis Willson said the following on 11/4/2005 6:03 PM:
Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
it would use the whole screen.

Thats not truly fullscreened. It also does not, and can not, take into
account tool/taskbars that may or may not be present. It does not take
into account where those bars are at. It also does not take into
consideration dual monitors. My desktop at the moment is 2560x1024. You
can not open a window that size on my PC though. So, what size should
the window be?

Why would I want to disable fullscreen? Simple. If I want fullscreen, I
know how to get it. Since I don't have my browser set that way, I must
not want fullscreen. And I don't want some half-witted web-designer
attempting to force me to see what I want to see the way they
incorrectly think I should see it.
Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen..

There is *never* a good reason to open a website full screen.

Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

Thats why my browser has scrollbars on it. So I can see those large
images, graphics or large tables.

Gérard Talbot

Dennis Willson a écrit :
Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
window to those dimensions?

Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the user.

That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
it would use the whole screen.

Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?

Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user using
a browser application or the web author coding a page?

How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set automatic
[large] image resizing feature?

The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features and
standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas for
the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes regarding
fullscreen=yes.

"window.open() with fullscreen=yes will now result in a maximized
window, not a kiosk mode window."

"The definition of the fullscreen=yes specification is changed to
mean 'show the window as maximized,' which will keep the title bar,
address bar, and status bar visible."

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Note_on_fullscreen

Why do people want so much to remove the status bar on my browser
application anyway, to begin with?

Gérard

Dennis Willson

Gérard Talbot said:
Dennis Willson a écrit :
[...]

The discussion was MAXIMIZED not fullscreen.....

Gérard Talbot

Dennis Willson a écrit :
Gérard Talbot said:

You said word for word the following:

"Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
it would use the whole screen. (...)
Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
large images or graphs.... Or large tables..."

and you got a reply about your very own words, on those exact words.

Gérard