    I prefere multibrowser solution....

    Thanx,
    Mateo

    Mateo, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Mateo

    Randy Webb Guest

    Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
    > open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
    > new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

    It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.

    > Any idea how to do this?

    You can't.

    > Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with window.open?

    No.

    > I prefere multibrowser solution....

    Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
    here so I can disable it in my browser?

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Randy Webb wrote:
    > Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
    >> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
    >> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

    > It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
    >
    >> Any idea how to do this?

    > You can't.

    Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be
    maximized, but it would use the whole screen.

    >> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
    >> window.open?

    > No.
    >
    >> I prefere multibrowser solution....

    > Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
    > here so I can disable it in my browser?

    Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

    Dennis Willson, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Mateo

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dennis Willson said the following on 11/4/2005 6:03 PM:

    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
    >>
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
    >>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
    >>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

    >> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
    >>
    >>> Any idea how to do this?

    >> You can't.
    >>

    > Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
    > window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
    > it would use the whole screen.

    Thats not truly fullscreened. It also does not, and can not, take into
    account tool/taskbars that may or may not be present. It does not take
    into account where those bars are at. It also does not take into
    consideration dual monitors. My desktop at the moment is 2560x1024. You
    can not open a window that size on my PC though. So, what size should
    the window be?

    >>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
    >>> window.open?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>> I prefere multibrowser solution....

    >> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
    >> here so I can disable it in my browser?
    >>

    > Why?

    Why would I want to disable fullscreen? Simple. If I want fullscreen, I
    know how to get it. Since I don't have my browser set that way, I must
    not want fullscreen. And I don't want some half-witted web-designer
    attempting to force me to see what I want to see the way they
    incorrectly think I should see it.

    > Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen..

    There is *never* a good reason to open a website full screen.

    > Maybe to display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

    Thats why my browser has scrollbars on it. So I can see those large
    images, graphics or large tables.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Nov 5, 2005
  5. Dennis Willson a écrit :

    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >
    >> Mateo said the following on 11/4/2005 1:50 PM:
    >>
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> I tried to open page in new window with window.open(...) method.
    >>> open() method supports fullscreeen mode, but I would like to open
    >>> new maximized window with tiltle bar only....

    >> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.
    >>
    >>> Any idea how to do this?

    >> You can't.
    >>

    > Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
    > window to those dimensions?

    Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
    taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
    then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the user.

    That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
    > it would use the whole screen.
    >

    >>> Can I maximize window from current page after it is opened with
    >>> window.open?

    >> No.
    >>
    >>> I prefere multibrowser solution....

    >> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
    >> here so I can disable it in my browser?
    >>

    > Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
    > large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

    What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
    decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?

    Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
    window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user using
    a browser application or the web author coding a page?

    How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set automatic
    [large] image resizing feature?

    The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features and
    standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
    browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas for
    the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes regarding
    fullscreen=yes.

    "window.open() with fullscreen=yes will now result in a maximized
    window, not a kiosk mode window."

    "The definition of the fullscreen=yes specification is changed to
    mean 'show the window as maximized,' which will keep the title bar,
    address bar, and status bar visible."

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Note_on_fullscreen

    Why do people want so much to remove the status bar on my browser
    application anyway, to begin with?

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    Gérard Talbot, Nov 5, 2005
  6. Gérard Talbot wrote:
    > Dennis Willson a écrit :
    >

    >> Randy Webb wrote:

    >>> It only supports fullscreen mode in a limited set of browsers.

    >>> You can't.
    >>>

    >> Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open
    >> a window to those dimensions?

    > Well, what about semi-permanent os-dependent applications (eg Windows
    > taskbar, sys. tray, MS-Office Quicklaunch bar, etc) on the user screen
    > then? fullscreen will cover these despite possible objections from the
    > user.
    >
    > That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
    >
    >> it would use the whole screen.

    >>> No.

    >>> Good luck. If you do manage to find a hack to do it, can you post it
    >>> here so I can disable it in my browser?
    >>>

    >> Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to
    >> display large images or graphs.... Or large tables...

    > What's wrong with letting the user make that assessment and make that
    > decision then? What's fundamentally wrong with such approach?
    >
    > Who is the best person capable of assessing if opening a secondary
    > window in full screen mode is good, desirable, suitable? The user using
    > a browser application or the web author coding a page?
    >
    > How are scripts currently able to detect how the user has set automatic
    > [large] image resizing feature?
    >
    > The problem with fullscreen is that it makes several basic features and
    > standard functionalities of the user screen and of the normal user
    > browser disabled. It compromises security in a number of ways/areas for
    > the user. That's why MSIE 6 SP2 introduced a number of changes regarding
    > fullscreen=yes.

    The discussion was MAXIMIZED not fullscreen.....

    Dennis Willson, Nov 8, 2005

    You said word for word the following:

    "Can't you check to see what the dimensions of the screen are and open a
    window to those dimensions? That wouldn't technically be maximized, but
    it would use the whole screen. (...)
    Why? Maybe there's a good reason to open full screen.. Maybe to display
    large images or graphs.... Or large tables..."

    and you got a reply about your very own words, on those exact words.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    Gérard Talbot, Nov 8, 2005