Open new window on click and alert buttons and Crazy Browser

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Ian Shere, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Ian Shere

    Ian Shere Guest

    I'm pretty green when it comes to web design and worse regarding JS - I'm a
    true cut n paste hacker and good at that!! LOL

    Two questions. I have a bunch of FAQ's as text questions that I want to do
    either one of the following with when a visitor clicks the question -

    1) Open a pop-up window of X x Y size, centred with no controls, or
    2) Have an alert box do the same.

    I know the syntax for the pop-up window but not how to tie it to a text link
    (have found the "input type = button" but don't want buttons). The alert
    box would maybe be easier but every code generator I have used doesn't seem
    to accept alot of text (plus I still need to tie it to a text item). Is
    there a max number of characters in an Alert box?

    Lastly, for anyone that uses Crazy Browser. Does it have a problem with
    handling pop-up windows from JS? They all open as fullsize windows as a new
    tab. Is it one of MY settings?

    Thanks.

    --
    Ian Shere
    Tarzan Design Ltd

    Ian Shere, Dec 15, 2003

  2. "Ian Shere" <> writes:

    > I'm pretty green when it comes to web design and worse regarding JS - I'm a
    > true cut n paste hacker and good at that!! LOL

    So, you don't know what you are doing, but you are good at it? :)

    > Two questions. I have a bunch of FAQ's as text questions that I want to do
    > either one of the following with when a visitor clicks the question -
    >
    > 1) Open a pop-up window of X x Y size, centred with no controls, or
    > 2) Have an alert box do the same.

    Alert boxes are small and disruptive. Popup windows can be larger and
    marginally less disruptive (because they aren't "modal" and grab
    focus). However, popups are also more fragile, since many people are
    using poup blockers.

    > I know the syntax for the pop-up window but not how to tie it to a text link
    > (have found the "input type = button" but don't want buttons). The alert
    > box would maybe be easier but every code generator I have used doesn't seem
    > to accept alot of text (plus I still need to tie it to a text item). Is
    > there a max number of characters in an Alert box?

    Try reading here:
    <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/JSwindows.html#ref_3_4>
    Read the rest too.

    /L