Open new window with JS - Problem with Firefox

Merlin

Hi there,

I have a serious problem with opening a new window with the help of JavaScript.
The problem only occures with Firefox.
Once you click on the item which fires up the open function, the new window
opens up, but in the background the original window loads the homepage. I cant
find a way to fix this so the site remains in the old window.

Please have a look, if you click on the picture with the car you will see the
problem.
http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Chiang+Mai-1461.html

It looks like this is only true for clicking within the first few seconds ( am
on a 2Mbit DSL connection), after waiting for about 10 seconds it works without

Thank you for any help,

Merlin

Martin Honnen

Merlin wrote:

I have a serious problem with opening a new window with the help of
JavaScript. The problem only occures with Firefox.

Which version of Firefox? Have you tried other Mozilla browsers as well?
Once you click on the item which fires up the open function, the new
window opens up, but in the background the original window loads the
homepage. I cant find a way to fix this so the site remains in the old
window.

Please have a look, if you click on the picture with the car you will
see the problem.
http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Chiang+Mai-1461.html

It looks like this is only true for clicking within the first few
seconds ( am on a 2Mbit DSL connection), after waiting for about 10
seconds it works without loading the main page.

I have loaded that URL with Firefox 1.0 and clicked the picture as soon
as possible, a popup showed the following URL:
<http://www.globosapiens.net/subapp_...ens.net&add_r=guest&add_s=&vlimit=0#undefined>
the initial window continued to show the URL
<http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Chiang+Mai-1461.html>
so I cannot reproduce the problem.
What do you mean by "loads the homepage", which URL is the homepage?

Martin Honnen

Merlin wrote:

After I load the page and click onthe image:
http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Chiang+Mai-1461.html

The homepage (which is the main page: http://www.globosapiens.net )
loads in the initial window.

This might be because of the hash inside the link:

As you have
return false
after the open_center() call I don't see a problem, as said I can't
reproduce the problem here.
Does the Firefox JavaScript console show any errors for you?
I think you use the
construct a lot on that page, does that problem only occur with that
particular link or with all those links?

Merlin

Does the Firefox JavaScript console show any errors for you?
I think you use the
construct a lot on that page, does that problem only occur with that
particular link or with all those links?

There are no errors shown in the JS console. The problem occures with any open
center link on that page (all pictures and the comment on the verry bottom).

I guess it has something to do with the XML integration of the hostel engine on
the bottom. Until the whole code is loaded the problem apears (that the main
window will load the root page (homepage) after clicking on an open center link.
After the hostel code is loaded the problem disapears.

The problem also apears on Netscape. Try to click on a picture close the window
and click on the next picture. Sooner or later it happens.

Very strange. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Merlin

Merlin

News said:
I'm using FireFox 1.0 and when I click on the pic, I get a new window
with a larger pic and two Google ads above. I assume this is the
desired behavior..?

NM

Yes it is, but the main initiating page loads the / root page. That is the
problem. So the report is gone and the main page loads instead. Try it a view
times and you will see what I mean.

Regards,

Merlin

Martin Honnen

Merlin said:
There are no errors shown in the JS console. The problem occures with
any open center link on that page (all pictures and the comment on the
verry bottom).

You have
<BASE HREF="http://www.globosapiens.net/">
in the head of your HTML document meaning that
link indeed links to
http://www.globosapiens.net/#
thus if you get that URL loaded then somehow the return false doesn't work.
I however see lots of errors in the Firefox JavaScript console alike the
following

Error: e has no properties
Source File: http://www.globosapiens.net/app_global/menu3/milonic_src.js
Line: 19

so you have code in there that causes script errors with Firefox. As
that script code is unformatted gibberish, probably due to some source
code compression, I have no chance to look at that further.

You might want to start with reducing the page to isolate the error,
with all that is currently in that page it is hard to figure what could
be wrong.