    How do we do that?

    Thanks
    Pokey
    Pokey, Jun 4, 2004

  2. "Pokey" <Pokey@no_spam.com> wrote:

    > We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

    Upgrade to HTML then. There are many people who say that PDF should be
    made illegal in the Internet, and they are almost right.

    > We would like readers that left-click on the file to have it open
    > without the toolbars on IE.

    Configure their browsers then. It'll take some time and effort of course.

    > So the top line would be
    > 'Save a Copy'
    > instead of
    > 'File' 'Edit'...

    I wonder what your real problem is. Anyway, you cannot prevent people
    from editing their copy of your eZine.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > I wonder what your real problem is. Anyway, you cannot prevent people
    > from editing their copy of your eZine.

    I was UTI that you could do this with PDF files? I thought you could
    lock them if you buy the uber professional version, so that Mr Average
    can't edit it without hacking the file?

    --
    Neo Human Calibrated for Gratification
    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Pokey wrote:
    > We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

    Do you make an HTML version available as well?

    > We would like readers that left-click on the file to have it open without
    > the toolbars on IE.

    Why would you want to do this? Many users find these buttons very
    useful, and feel a little out of place when they're taken away.
    --
    Michael Wilcox, http://mikewilcox.t35.com/
    Michael Wilcox, Jun 4, 2004
  5. Pokey

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> writing in news:CP4wc.89$gu3.81@newsfe5-win:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder what your real problem is. Anyway, you cannot prevent people
    >> from editing their copy of your eZine.

    > I was UTI that you could do this with PDF files? I thought you could
    > lock them if you buy the uber professional version, so that Mr Average
    > can't edit it without hacking the file?

    Yes, if you have the full professional version of Adobe PDF, you can
    prevent users from copying, printing, editing, and you can disable text
    access for the visually impaired. Unless the recipient has a password they
    are SOL.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Adrienne <> wrote:

    > Yes, if you have the full professional version of Adobe PDF, you can
    > prevent users from copying, printing, editing, and you can disable
    > text access for the visually impaired. Unless the recipient has a
    > password they are SOL.

    Well, don't tell this to anyone who relies on such measures, but contrary
    to the highly successful meme "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader for reading
    PDF, click here to download", there are lots of other programs for
    processing PDF format. And processing includes making documents visible
    on screen or on paper.

    Actually we don't even need to consider that reality. If the document can
    be viewed on screen at all, it can be printed using Print Screen (or
    equivalent) and then scanned.

    So attempts to protect against copying, saving etc. that way are
    effective only in creating inaccessibility, nuisance, etc.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > "Pokey" <Pokey@no_spam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

    > Upgrade to HTML then. There are many people who say that PDF should be
    > made illegal in the Internet, and they are almost right.

    No, not at all. In fact, if the content is to be downloaded, saved
    and/or printed, and/or is to be distributed, PDF is superior to HTML,
    which was not designed to do these things.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com
    Nicolai P. Zwar, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Pokey

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Nicolai P. Zwar, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Pokey

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> writing in

    > Adrienne <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, if you have the full professional version of Adobe PDF, you can
    >> prevent users from copying, printing, editing, and you can disable
    >> text access for the visually impaired. Unless the recipient has a
    >> password they are SOL.

    > Well, don't tell this to anyone who relies on such measures, but
    > contrary to the highly successful meme "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader
    > for reading PDF, click here to download", there are lots of other
    > programs for processing PDF format. And processing includes making
    > documents visible on screen or on paper.
    >
    > Actually we don't even need to consider that reality. If the document
    > can be viewed on screen at all, it can be printed using Print Screen
    > (or equivalent) and then scanned.
    >
    > So attempts to protect against copying, saving etc. that way are
    > effective only in creating inaccessibility, nuisance, etc.

    I absolutely agree. There's always a way around everything. I'm sure
    these measures are there to prevent people like me, who know how to edit a
    PDF contract to my liking, print it, sign it, and send it back. Of course,
    I tell the other party that I have made the changes.
    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jun 8, 2004