Open PDF Files without Toolbars

Pokey

We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

We would like readers that left-click on the file to have it open without
the toolbars on IE.

So the top line would be
'Save a Copy'
instead of
'File' 'Edit'...

How do we do that?

Thanks
Pokey

Jukka K. Korpela

Pokey said:
We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

Upgrade to HTML then. There are many people who say that PDF should be
made illegal in the Internet, and they are almost right.
We would like readers that left-click on the file to have it open
without the toolbars on IE.

Configure their browsers then. It'll take some time and effort of course.
So the top line would be
'Save a Copy'
instead of
'File' 'Edit'...

I wonder what your real problem is. Anyway, you cannot prevent people
from editing their copy of your eZine.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Jukka said:
I wonder what your real problem is. Anyway, you cannot prevent people
from editing their copy of your eZine.

I was UTI that you could do this with PDF files? I thought you could
lock them if you buy the uber professional version, so that Mr Average
can't edit it without hacking the file?

Michael Wilcox

Pokey said:
We publish an eZine that is downloaded as a pdf.

Do you make an HTML version available as well?
We would like readers that left-click on the file to have it open without
the toolbars on IE.

Why would you want to do this? Many users find these buttons very
useful, and feel a little out of place when they're taken away.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Weyoun the Dancing Borg
I was UTI that you could do this with PDF files? I thought you could
lock them if you buy the uber professional version, so that Mr Average
can't edit it without hacking the file?

Yes, if you have the full professional version of Adobe PDF, you can
prevent users from copying, printing, editing, and you can disable text
access for the visually impaired. Unless the recipient has a password they
are SOL.

Jukka K. Korpela

Adrienne said:
Yes, if you have the full professional version of Adobe PDF, you can
prevent users from copying, printing, editing, and you can disable
text access for the visually impaired. Unless the recipient has a
password they are SOL.

Well, don't tell this to anyone who relies on such measures, but contrary
to the highly successful meme "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader for reading
PDF, click here to download", there are lots of other programs for
processing PDF format. And processing includes making documents visible
on screen or on paper.

Actually we don't even need to consider that reality. If the document can
be viewed on screen at all, it can be printed using Print Screen (or
equivalent) and then scanned.

So attempts to protect against copying, saving etc. that way are
effective only in creating inaccessibility, nuisance, etc.

Nicolai P. Zwar

Jukka said:
Upgrade to HTML then. There are many people who say that PDF should be
made illegal in the Internet, and they are almost right.

No, not at all. In fact, if the content is to be downloaded, saved
and/or printed, and/or is to be distributed, PDF is superior to HTML,
which was not designed to do these things.

Adrienne

Well, don't tell this to anyone who relies on such measures, but
contrary to the highly successful meme "you need Adobe Acrobat Reader
for reading PDF, click here to download", there are lots of other
programs for processing PDF format. And processing includes making
documents visible on screen or on paper.

Actually we don't even need to consider that reality. If the document
can be viewed on screen at all, it can be printed using Print Screen
(or equivalent) and then scanned.

So attempts to protect against copying, saving etc. that way are
effective only in creating inaccessibility, nuisance, etc.

I absolutely agree. There's always a way around everything. I'm sure
these measures are there to prevent people like me, who know how to edit a
PDF contract to my liking, print it, sign it, and send it back. Of course,
I tell the other party that I have made the changes.