    sharp?

    Sorry if this post is out of context.

    Later.

    Afifov, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Afifov said:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a software engineer, and I got promoted and no longer doing
    > programming as in pure coding. I want to remain in touch with my C
    > programming skills, especially that we are developing our software using
    > C. Is there any open source community that I can join and keep my C skills
    > sharp?

    You can join us here in comp.lang.c on a regular basis and find out whether
    your C skills are as sharp as you thought they were. They probably aren't,
    by the way. Nothing personal - most if not all of the bright bunnies in clc
    had to go through a painful learning process as they discovered C wasn't
    quite what they'd thought it to be.

    And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll bet you've got a
    computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch that itch - write that
    program. If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    might just pay you a fortune.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2005

  3. Afifov

    Danilo Kempf Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:

    > If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    > might just pay you a fortune.

    Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a fortune,
    too!

    Danilo Kempf, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Afifov

    Guest

    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    > And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll bet you've got a
    > computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch that itch - write that
    > program. If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    > might just pay you a fortune.

    Factor large primes ? I always believed you can't do that in C...

    --
    :wq
    ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

    , Dec 29, 2005
  5. Afifov

    pemo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    >> And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll bet you've
    >> got a
    >> computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch that itch - write that
    >> program. If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    >> might just pay you a fortune.

    > Factor large primes ? I always believed you can't do that in C...

    You can do anything in C - the real problem is that people do just that,
    i.e., use it for everything.

    pemo, Dec 29, 2005
  6. Afifov

    Richard Bos Guest

    Danilo Kempf <> wrote:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >
    > > If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    > > might just pay you a fortune.

    > Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a fortune,
    > too!

    Does that go for me, too? I'll write you a program that, when given a
    large prime number, will factor it for you nearly instantaneously and
    (within the limits of the implementation) guaranteed correctly. Accuracy
    for non-primes is, alas, not part of the specification. Will you pay me
    a fortune for that?

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Dec 29, 2005
  7. said:

    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    >> And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll bet you've
    >> got a computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch that itch - write that
    >> program. If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    >> might just pay you a fortune.

    > Factor large primes ? I always believed you can't do that in C...

    ....or Pascal, or assembly language, or C++, or Fortran, or BASIC, or any
    other computer language - unless you count 1 and n to be factors of n, in
    which case it's pretty easy after all.

    (I believe that Bill Gates has since claimed that he never said "The obvious
    mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor
    large prime numbers." on page 265 of "The Road Ahead,", but I can't find a
    reference to back me up.)

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2005
  8. Afifov

    Afifov Guest

    yeah well, I just might get at it. It would be nice to prove all em
    mathematicians wrong. Encryption down the drain if my program works.

    Afifov, Dec 29, 2005
  9. Afifov

    Danilo Kempf Guest

    Richard Bos wrote:

    > Danilo Kempf <> wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >>
    >> > If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    >> > might just pay you a fortune.

    >> Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a
    >> fortune, too!

    > Does that go for me, too? I'll write you a program that, when given a
    > large prime number, will factor it for you nearly instantaneously and
    > (within the limits of the implementation) guaranteed correctly. Accuracy
    > for non-primes is, alas, not part of the specification. Will you pay me
    > a fortune for that?

    Okay, in such a case i would be willing to pay up to the amount of the
    smaller of the prime factors in a currency of my choice -- Euro probably.

    Might be considered a fortune by some people.

    Danilo

    Danilo Kempf, Dec 29, 2005
  10. Afifov

    Afifov Guest

    man, Bill Gates knows squat! The Road Ahead is nothing but a lame book that
    talks about nothing but obvious knowledge, especially for computer
    scientists.

    Check out the security holes in his OS!

    Afifov, Dec 29, 2005
  11. Danilo Kempf <> writes:
    > Richard Heathfield wrote:

    >> If you can write a program to factor large primes, Bill Gates
    >> might just pay you a fortune.

    > Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a
    > fortune, too!

    /* Find factors of large prime 'p'.
    All values stored in decimal in arrays of 'char'.

    Note: it is the caller's responsibility to ensure
    that 'p' is prime */

    struct factors { char* a; char* b; } find_factors(char* p)
    {
    struct factors r;
    r.a = p;
    r.b = "1";
    return r;
    }

    Any first-world currency or precious metal is fine.

    mlp

    Mark L Pappin, Dec 29, 2005
  12. Afifov said:

    > man, Bill Gates knows squat!

    You're the same guy that thinks main returns void, right?

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2005
  13. Afifov

    jacob navia Guest

    Afifov a écrit :
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a software engineer, and I got promoted and no longer doing
    > programming as in pure coding. I want to remain in touch with my C
    > programming skills, especially that we are developing our software using
    > C. Is there any open source community that I can join and keep my C skills
    > sharp?
    >
    > Sorry if this post is out of context.
    >
    > Later.

    Yes, there are many. You can look at SourceForge for inspiration.

    Otherwise you can work with the lcc-win32. We are always happy to
    welcome new people.

    jacob

    P.S.: The pages for the lcc-win32 C compiler are at:

    http://www.q-software-solutions.de

    jacob navia, Dec 29, 2005
  14. Afifov

    Afifov Guest

    no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).
    Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS? or should I
    say Dummy OS?
    If anyone, bill cakes should thank IBM coz without the PC revolution and
    IBM selling MSDOS with its PCs , then Bill and Microzift couldn't have
    made a bundle and closed down!

    Afifov, Dec 29, 2005
  15. Afifov

    Chuck F. Guest

    wrote:
    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    >> And if you've been programming for any length of time, I'll
    >> bet you've got a computer itch you'd like to scratch. Scratch
    >> that itch - write that program. If you can write a program to
    >> factor large primes, Bill Gates might just pay you a fortune.

    > Factor large primes ? I always believed you can't do that in
    > C...

    Sure you can. Marc Pappin just gave an unpolished implementation,
    with a few minor correctable flaws.

    Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
    and pay and pay ...

    Chuck F., Dec 29, 2005
  16. Afifov said:

    > no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).

    The only return values from main() that have portable semantics are 0,
    EXIT_SUCCESS, and EXIT_FAILURE. Where did you get -1 from?

    > Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS?

    Yes.

    > or should I say Dummy OS?

    Don't blame MS-DOS on Bill Gates. He did not write it.

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2005
  17. Chuck F. said:

    > Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
    > and pay and pay ...

    Chuck, what are you talking about? Were you really not aware of the Bill
    Gates "Road Ahead" quote to which I was alluding?

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2005
  18. Afifov

    Richard Bos Guest

    Danilo Kempf <> wrote:

    > Richard Bos wrote:
    >
    > > Danilo Kempf <> wrote:

    > >> Wow, if he manages to factor primes I promise that I'll pay him a
    > >> fortune, too!

    > > Does that go for me, too? I'll write you a program that, when given a
    > > large prime number, will factor it for you nearly instantaneously and
    > > (within the limits of the implementation) guaranteed correctly. Accuracy
    > > for non-primes is, alas, not part of the specification. Will you pay me
    > > a fortune for that?

    > Okay, in such a case i would be willing to pay up to the amount of the
    > smaller of the prime factors in a currency of my choice -- Euro probably.
    >
    > Might be considered a fortune by some people.

    I'd say. You do realise that usually, 1 is not considered a prime factor
    because if it is you can end up with an infinite amount of factors,
    nearly all 1?

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Dec 29, 2005
  19. Afifov

    Guest

    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > Chuck F. said:
    >
    >> Richard is going to pay for his sloppy definition. And pay and pay
    >> and pay and pay ...

    > Chuck, what are you talking about? Were you really not aware of the Bill
    > Gates "Road Ahead" quote to which I was alluding?

    Well, I wasn't, hence my reply...

    Yet another new year's resolution for me: I will not try to be funny in
    public.

    Ico

    --
    :wq
    ^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

    , Dec 29, 2005
  20. "Afifov" <> writes:
    > no one said main returns void! by default C returns an int (0,-1).

    Wrong.

    > Yet, i stress the bill gates fact. Have you ever used MSDOS? or should I
    > say Dummy OS?
    > If anyone, bill cakes should thank IBM coz without the PC revolution and
    > IBM selling MSDOS with its PCs , then Bill and Microzift couldn't have
    > made a bundle and closed down!

    Yes, yes, we've all heard the standard Microsoft-bashing. Whether we
    agree with it or not, it's off-topic here -- and frankly, it would be
    boring even if it were topical.

    Please provide some context when you post a followup. I'm sure you've
    read the standard advice about how to post properly through
    groups.google.com. You're using something called
    www.talkaboutprogramming.com; I have no idea how to persuade it to
    post proper followups, or even whether it's possible. If it doesn't
    allow you to do so, I strongly suggest you stop using it to post to
    Usenet. If you have no other alternative, you groups.google.com, but
    *only* after reading <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 29, 2005