Open Source Equivalent of jDeveloper or WL Workshop

Buck Turgidson

I am curious to know if there are open source equivalents to jDeveloper or
WL Workshop that would not incur a licensing fee.

Thanks for any replies.

Oscar kind

Buck Turgidson said:
I am curious to know if there are open source equivalents to jDeveloper or
WL Workshop that would not incur a licensing fee.

If you mean "a good IDE", you're setting yourself up for a "holy war".

Personally, I think Eclipse is a good open source IDE, but it is entirely
too complex for a beginner (even if it makes developement easier).

For a beginner, BlueJ is said to be a better IDE. However, it is only free
to use for non-commercial use (i.e. no open source).

And personally, I have good beginners experience with gvim. Nowadays I use
IntelliJ, which is not free.

IchBin

Oscar said:
If you mean "a good IDE", you're setting yourself up for a "holy war".

Personally, I think Eclipse is a good open source IDE, but it is entirely
too complex for a beginner (even if it makes developement easier).

For a beginner, BlueJ is said to be a better IDE. However, it is only free
to use for non-commercial use (i.e. no open source).

And personally, I have good beginners experience with gvim. Nowadays I use
IntelliJ, which is not free.
Try..... JGRASP, all that you will need as at least a beginner, at:
http://www.jgrasp.org/index.html
--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin

'Laughter is inner jogging'
- Norman Cousins, editor and author (1915-1990)

David Segall

Buck Turgidson said:
I am curious to know if there are open source equivalents to jDeveloper or
WL Workshop that would not incur a licensing fee.

Thanks for any replies.
That depends on what features of JDeveloper or WL Workshop you "need".
For example, I believe that the _only_ IDE that includes a WYSIWYG
editor for HTML pages is JDeveloper.

Anyway, the two heavyweights are NetBeans (www.netbeans.org) and
Eclipse (www.eclipse.org). I would advocate the former if you want a
WYSIWYG editor for GUI's.

Bryce

That depends on what features of JDeveloper or WL Workshop you "need".
For example, I believe that the _only_ IDE that includes a WYSIWYG
editor for HTML pages is JDeveloper.

Well, Eclipse has one, but you have to buy the product MyEclipse
(www.myeclipseide.com). But then again, its not free or open source so
(MyEclipse that is).
Anyway, the two heavyweights are NetBeans (www.netbeans.org) and
Eclipse (www.eclipse.org). I would advocate the former if you want a
WYSIWYG editor for GUI's.

And the beauty is, you can download one of each and try it out.