open source java profiler ?

elh.maayan

hi

i'm interested in an open source java profiler for j2ee (jboss mainly)
it would be nice to run under eclipse but not a must, i've tried tptp
(version 4.4) but the thing doesn't work.

something that doesn't require me to change code.

ownowl

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
hi

i'm interested in an open source java profiler for j2ee (jboss mainly)
it would be nice to run under eclipse but not a must, i've tried tptp
(version 4.4) but the thing doesn't work.

something that doesn't require me to change code.

Visualvm is a very good tool (for java 1.6)

https://visualvm.dev.java.net/

Olivier

Thomas Kellerer

hi

i'm interested in an open source java profiler for j2ee (jboss mainly)
it would be nice to run under eclipse but not a must, i've tried tptp
(version 4.4) but the thing doesn't work.

something that doesn't require me to change code.

NetBeans has an integrated profiler and can profile JavaEE applications.

VisualVM is the standalone version of the Profiler

Thomas

Lew

(top-posting corrected)

thanks, looks very nice ,but it seems to require at least jdk 6?

Why is that a problem?

Are you aware that Java 5 is in its "End-of-Life" phase, whereby users are
given time to upgrade to the current version (i.e., Java 6) before Java 5 is
retired entirely in a matter of months?

Andrew Thompson

..
i'm interested in an open source java profiler
something that doesn't require me to change code.

As an aside, to someone that does not
want to change any code, why is an open
source API better than a binary?

Thomas Kellerer

For VisualVM: Yes, it requires Java 6 to run it.
It can still attach to a Java 5 JVM, but I think it will lack the most
interesting features then.

The NetBeans internal profiler can profile a project running on Java 5

As VisualVM and the NetBeans profiler are more or less the same product I wonder
how they do it :)

Thomas

Roedy Green

As an aside, to someone that does not
want to change any code, why is an open
source API better than a binary?

If the original author abandons maintenance, anyone can take it over.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

elh.maayan

don't know about that, but i'm more interested in free side, and today
many software companies "pretend" to be free by saying "it's yours for
free" (for 1 month ), but OS is not like that.

elh.maayan

we are dependent on IBM for upgradges , and we only just recently
upgreaded to jvm 5, becouse IBM said it would not support us anymore,
i don't WebSphere is certified for java 6, and even if it was, we
would still won't upgrage (becouse it would proably still have problem
with jars and class path).

Thomas Kellerer

we are dependent on IBM for upgradges , and we only just recently
upgreaded to jvm 5, becouse IBM said it would not support us anymore,
i don't WebSphere is certified for java 6, and even if it was, we
would still won't upgrage (becouse it would proably still have problem
with jars and class path).

I don't even know if VisualVM will run on an IBM JVM though.
It heavily requires features built into the Sun JVM.

But I guess with a JDK that is soon to be de-supported on a propietry JVM
platform you won't find too many tools out there. Doesn't IBM offer a profiler?

Thomas

elh.maayan

maybe that do, but it proably costs money, and we allready paid for
jbprobe, but on a unix version, no a pc one.

i tried using visualVM, however it didn't work, i didn't see any cpu
usage tab, like the tutorial said, my main use is to see performance
bottlenecks.

Thomas Kellerer

i tried using visualVM, however it didn't work, i didn't see any cpu
usage tab, like the tutorial said, my main use is to see performance
bottlenecks.
Yes, I guess that's where the "wrong" JDK comes in.

Did you try the NetBeans profiler?

I used it without problems to profile an appliation running under JDK 1.5.
Although I don't know if it will support Websphere though.

Thomas

Lew

we are dependent on IBM for upgradges , and we only just recently
upgreaded to jvm 5, becouse IBM said it would not support us anymore,
i [sic] don't WebSphere is certified for java 6, and even if it was, we
would still won't upgrage (becouse it would proably still have problem
with jars and class path).

Please do not top=post.

JARs and classpath are the same for Java 6 as for Java 5.

Java 5 is over four years old, and Java 6 is over two years old.
WebSphere 7 supports Java 6. It also supports JEE 5 and JPA. It's
well worth getting the current version.

<http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/features/?
S_TACT=105AGX10&S_CMP=LP>

It's about time IBM pulled support for Java 1.4; it's ancient and Sun
support has already stopped for that version, which is nearly seven
years old.

The migration from Java 1.4 to Java 6 has the same difficulty and risk
as the migration to Java 5. There is some risk, but waiting until one
has lost support for the deployed version also carries risk, as does
staying with Java 1.4 generally. The Java memory model (for
concurrent access to variables) changed with Java 5, fixing bugs in
earlier versions.

[...]

remind me, top posting is where you place stuff above written post?

we are not using was 7 but was 6.1, and it was horrible upgrading to
that one, considering one of the service packs nearly destoryed it, as
well as the fact that we don't have in-house expertise in was. so if
we survived this upgrade we'll proably won't touch it for another 4
years (i get your point, it's just we are an insurance company, not a
technological one)

i'm currently trying out jip, it almost looks good except the fact
that it keeps saying that it's not set to instrument any class :(

Lew

we are not using was 7 but was 6.1, and it was horrible upgrading to
that one, considering one of the service packs nearly destoryed it, as
well as the fact that we don't have in-house expertise in was. so if
we survived this upgrade we'll proably won't touch it for another 4
years

Since Java 5 will become unsupported later in 2009, that will give you
about 3.5 years with an unsupported version of Java. Are you sure
that's wise?

Arne Vajhøj

Andrew said:
As an aside, to someone that does not
want to change any code, why is an open
source API better than a binary?

Guess: he really meant free not open source.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Thomas said:
I don't even know if VisualVM will run on an IBM JVM though.
It heavily requires features built into the Sun JVM.

It is not using JVMTI ??

Arne