open vs save attachement function

Wade Eyre

I have a PDF that I would like to post to my personal website but the PDF
seems to open up as soon as someone clicks on it. Is there a way to have
the pop up save vs. open window appear?

Cheers
Wade

Leif K-Brooks

Wade said:
I have a PDF that I would like to post to my personal website but the PDF
seems to open up as soon as someone clicks on it. Is there a way to have
the pop up save vs. open window appear?

Configure your browser to handle that type of file that way.

Nik Coughin

Wade said:
I have a PDF that I would like to post to my personal website but the
PDF seems to open up as soon as someone clicks on it. Is there a way
to have the pop up save vs. open window appear?

Cheers
Wade

If your intention is that people be able to choose whether to view or
download the PDF, you could always put some text near the link, something
like "To save this file, right click the link and select Save. To open,
click the link.". If for some reason you really don't want people to be
able to open it from that location but do want people to be able to save it
(I have no idea why, but...), you could zip it and place the whatever.zip
there instead -- that will bring up a save as/open dialogue when you click
it.

Even if someone clicks on your PDF link and it opens, they can always choose
File->Save As to save it.

Hywel Jenkins

Wade Eyre said:
I have a PDF that I would like to post to my personal website but the PDF
seems to open up as soon as someone clicks on it. Is there a way to have
the pop up save vs. open window appear?

Download WebFTP from http://www.v-wijk.net/ and look at the code.
It's a browser-based FTP client written in PHP that gives the "Save
As" dialog for any type of file. The code changes the content-type
header when you click on a file so that it's sent as
application/octetstream I think.

You'll need to modify your link so that it points to a script to
handler the serving of the file, though.