open web project from source safe problem

Harold Hsu

Hi,

I hope this is the right group to post this question.

I've created a web project at work. The project name is Foo.Bar.Web. The
physical folder is located outside Inetput\wwwroot
(c:\projects\Foo.Bar.Web). Following Microsoft guidelines, I've created a
virtual directory with the same name and point it to the folder. I then
open the project from source safe, set the working location URL to
http://localhost/Foo.Bar.Web and everything is fine.

Now, when I try to do the same setup at home, I get the working location
does not map to the physical path error. Again, I followed the guidelines
and deleted the working location URL before retyping
http://localhost/Foo.Bar.Web. For some reason, if I have a period in the
virtual directory name, I can't browse the content. I get a 404 error. If
I remove the period, it's fine.

Does this have anything to do with my home computer (Win XP SP2) being in a
workgroup instead of a domain? Is there anyway to use Foo.Bar.Web as the
virtual directory name?

Harold

Jeff Dillon

Does everything work ok if you use a regular name without the periods? I've
never seen that..."if it's causing problems..don't do that" :)

Jeff

Harold Hsu

Yes, I can browse to the files in the virtual directory if there are no
period in the name. It just bugs me why it works in the office but not at
home. :)

Harold

Jeff Dillon

You might try in an IIS group. I recall somewhere that there is a machine
config setting somewhere for this...

Jeff