Open window full size without javascript

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mark, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hello;

    Here is what I wish to do:

    Click on a PDF link and have it open as a full screen window - not as
    a predetermined size.

    Sounds simple?

    I want to run the command from within the href only. I don't want to
    have to create an HTML page for each PDF file.

    This is the link.

    onClick="open('pdf-PPT/05_70857_PPT30x80.pdf','miniwin','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,titlebar=1,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,left=0,top=0,screenX=0,screenY=0');
    return false;".....

    Thanks in advance...

    Mark, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Mark

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > Hello;
    >
    > Here is what I wish to do:

    Are you sure your users want it?

    > Click on a PDF link and have it open as a full screen window - not as
    > a predetermined size.

    What do you really mean by fullscreen?
    Most people HATE fullscreen. Did you really mean maximized?

    > Sounds simple?

    Sound irritating.
    I never use my full browser screen for one window.
    It's never a good idea to mess with people's windows unless it is an
    application where you know your users and they asked for it.

    Clarify what you want...real fullscreen is different from maximized.

    ~kaeli~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Mark

    DU Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Hello;
    >
    > Here is what I wish to do:
    >
    > Click on a PDF link and have it open as a full screen window - not as
    > a predetermined size.
    >
    > Sounds simple?

    Sounds like a very bad idea, irritating users. PDF on top of all this!
    It takes long to load, long to run, requires much on the users' system
    resources and often the pdf resource is big (over 100KB).

    > I want to run the command from within the href only. I don't want to
    > have to create an HTML page for each PDF file.
    >
    > This is the link.

    > onClick="open('pdf-PPT/05_70857_PPT30x80.pdf','miniwin','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,titlebar=1,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,left=0,top=0,screenX=0,screenY=0');
    > return false;".....
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    I agree entirely with what kaeli and A. Thompson replied to you.
    Your link is incoherent also: you strictly want an unnamed window but,
    at the same time, you are naming it miniwin. On top of that, you want to
    create a crippled window which is as bad as a fullscreen browser window.
    You do not even notify in advance your users that clicking such link
    opens up a .pdf resource in a non-reusable, non-recyclable secondary window.
    Your webpage design should address several usability and accessibility
    issues first.

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Mozilla 1.7.3 :)

    DU, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    DU <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > > Hello;
    > >
    > > Here is what I wish to do:
    > >
    > > Click on a PDF link and have it open as a full screen window - not as
    > > a predetermined size.
    > >
    > > Sounds simple?
    > >

    > Sounds like a very bad idea, irritating users. PDF on top of all this!
    > It takes long to load, long to run, requires much on the users' system
    > resources and often the pdf resource is big (over 100KB).
    >
    > > I want to run the command from within the href only. I don't want to
    > > have to create an HTML page for each PDF file.
    > >
    > > This is the link.

    > > onClick="open('pdf-PPT/05_70857_PPT30x80.pdf','miniwin','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,titlebar=1,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,left=0,top=0,screenX=0,screenY=0');
    > > return false;".....
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance...

    > I agree entirely with what kaeli and A. Thompson replied to you.
    > Your link is incoherent also: you strictly want an unnamed window but,
    > at the same time, you are naming it miniwin. On top of that, you want to
    > create a crippled window which is as bad as a fullscreen browser window.
    > You do not even notify in advance your users that clicking such link
    > opens up a .pdf resource in a non-reusable, non-recyclable secondary window.
    > Your webpage design should address several usability and accessibility
    > issues first.
    >
    > DU

    Okay - first of all - thanks for wasting my time. If you don't know
    how to help me, shut yer yap. Morons.

    Secondly, I would like a maximized window, not full-screen. My fault
    for not clarifying.

    Thirdly, if you don't define a name for the window, the browser locks
    up on after clicking the link.

    Lastly, who said anything about website design? This is for a CD that
    will be given out to a small handfull of people, all of which we know
    personally, and I assure you that none of you are them. So don't worry
    about being annoyed.

    Mark, Nov 9, 2004
  5. On 9 Nov 2004 06:48:54 -0800, Mark <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Okay - first of all - thanks for wasting my time.

    If you don't post a clear question, it is *you* that is wasting *our* time.

    > If you don't know how to help me, shut yer yap. Morons.

    To call them morons is not wise. Insulting people for your errors won't
    yield answers and will probably get you ignored.

    [snip]

    > Thirdly, if you don't define a name for the window, the browser locks
    > up on after clicking the link.

    What DU was referring to is that the target attribute would create an
    unnamed window, whilst the script would create a named one, so why not
    have them refer to the same window? If it doesn't exist, the user agent
    should create it with either approach. Alternatively, use _blank for both
    to create new windows every time:

    onclick="window.open(this.href, this.target, '...');return false;">

    > Lastly, who said anything about website design?

    The *vast* majority of questions refer to a Web environment, and unless
    the poster states otherwise, that is the assumed circumstance. If you have
    a more restrictive audience then it is up to you to say so otherwise you
    won't receive the correct advice.

    [snip]

    By the way, I fail to see where the "without javascript" part of your
    subject comes into your original post. Perhaps you meant "with javascript".

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Mark

    kaeli Guest

    In article <opsg7ecwd6x13kvk@atlantis>, d
    enlightened us with...
    > On 9 Nov 2004 06:48:54 -0800, Mark <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Okay - first of all - thanks for wasting my time.

    > If you don't post a clear question, it is *you* that is wasting *our* time.
    >
    > > If you don't know how to help me, shut yer yap. Morons.

    > To call them morons is not wise. Insulting people for your errors won't
    > yield answers and will probably get you ignored.

    Yeah, pretty much.
    I know how to do it, but after that little diatribe, I'll be darned if I'm
    going out of my way to bother to post the solution.

    This group assumes questions apply to the internet unless otherwise stated. I
    believe that's in the FAQ for this group, too...
    Perhaps that should be modified from "what type of host" to "what type of
    environment"...
    Of course, I'd bet the OP didn't bother to READ the FAQ anyway. ;)

    ~kaeli~
    She was engaged to a boyfriend with a wooden leg but broke
    it off.

    kaeli, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Mark

    DU Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > DU <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Mark wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello;
    >>>
    >>>Here is what I wish to do:
    >>>
    >>>Click on a PDF link and have it open as a full screen window - not as
    >>>a predetermined size.
    >>>
    >>>Sounds simple?
    >>>

    >>Sounds like a very bad idea, irritating users. PDF on top of all this!
    >>It takes long to load, long to run, requires much on the users' system
    >>resources and often the pdf resource is big (over 100KB).
    >>

    >>>I want to run the command from within the href only. I don't want to
    >>>have to create an HTML page for each PDF file.
    >>>
    >>>This is the link.

    >>>onClick="open('pdf-PPT/05_70857_PPT30x80.pdf','miniwin','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,titlebar=1,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,left=0,top=0,screenX=0,screenY=0');
    >>>return false;".....
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance...

    >>I agree entirely with what kaeli and A. Thompson replied to you.
    >>Your link is incoherent also: you strictly want an unnamed window but,
    >>at the same time, you are naming it miniwin. On top of that, you want to
    >>create a crippled window which is as bad as a fullscreen browser window.
    >>You do not even notify in advance your users that clicking such link
    >>opens up a .pdf resource in a non-reusable, non-recyclable secondary window.
    >>Your webpage design should address several usability and accessibility
    >>issues first.
    >>
    >>DU

    > Okay - first of all - thanks for wasting my time. If you don't know
    > how to help me, shut yer yap. Morons.

    Rudeness and name-calling will not bring you help in any way in
    newsgroups: they'll help you get censored, ignored, filtered.
    We're all volunteering our time trying to first figure out what is the
    whole issue with your post: if you want helpful feedback, then best is
    to provide specific, clear, useful info regarding the whole issue. If
    you want vague, evasive, obscur answers, then just post a few words with
    general description.

    > Secondly, I would like a maximized window, not full-screen. My fault
    > for not clarifying.

    Are you saying that your post cause several others to waste their
    volunteer time trying to answer you?

    > Thirdly, if you don't define a name for the window, the browser locks
    > up on after clicking the link.

    I have no idea what you're talking about. Your link as coded is
    incoherent, inconsequent.

    > Lastly, who said anything about website design? This is for a CD that
    > will be given out to a small handfull of people,

    Are you saying we should also be mind reading you over the internet?

    all of which we know
    > personally, and I assure you that none of you are them. So don't worry
    > about being annoyed.

    Here's more annoyance and time waste for your personal friends:

    PDF: Unfit for Human Consumption
    Users Hate PDF
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

    Avoid PDF for On-Screen Reading
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20010610.html

    "Use link titles to provide users with a preview of where each link will
    take them, *before* they have clicked on it."
    Ten Good Deeds in Web Design
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/991003.html

    "You always need to provide an *explicit warning when linking to files
    in any other format than HTML* for at least two reasons:
    o the user may not have the necessary software installed and it is very
    impolite to make them wait (these files are usually bigger than simple
    HTML) for something they can't use
    o the non-standard file format will cause a non-standard behavior: for
    example, a PDF file will start up Acrobat (if the user has it installed,
    of course), thus giving users a nasty surprise in terms of an even
    longer wait and the appearance of new and different interface controls"
    J. Nielsen
    Linking to Non-Standard Files Without Warning
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530_comments.html

    DU

    DU, Nov 10, 2004