Open Word Document from a Dialog Web Page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Peter, May 1, 2008.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    ASP.NET 2.0

    I am trying to open a Word document and Excel document from a dialog web
    page, what's the best way to do that?

    I have tried the following:

    Response.Clear();
    Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" +
    file.Name);
    Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
    Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream";
    Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
    Response.End();

    but I am getting the following error message.

    Unable to evaluate expression because the code is optimized or a native
    frame is on top of the call stack.

    Thank You

    Peter
    Peter, May 1, 2008

  2. Hi Peter,

    Regarding on the open excel file in dialog page issue, would you provide
    some further information such as how to open the dialog page and whether
    the dialog page's url is the page that write out excel file or if the
    dialog page want to open another page that write out excel file?

    Based on my understanding, if the dialog page directy point to the excel
    page, it may cause problem due to the client-side browser's dialog model.
    Is there any particular requirement that you need to open excel file in
    dialog pgae?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], May 1, 2008

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I have a dialog page and on that page is a submitt button, when a user
    clicks on the submit button I want to open a Word or Excel file.
    The Word or Excel file already exitst on the web server.

    Peter, May 1, 2008
  4. Are you attempting to execute any code after the Response.End()?

    S.M. Altaf [MVP]
    http://www.mendhak.com/

    S.M. Altaf [MVP], May 1, 2008
  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yes, but the error occurs on the Response.End();

    Peter, May 1, 2008
  6. Can u post the stack trace of the error?

    Fernando Rodriguez, MCP, May 2, 2008
  7. Hi Peter,

    Does the problem definite occur? Based on my test, though the modal dialog
    may not display the output word/excel document correct, it will not report
    exception at server-side(the Response.End code should get executed
    correctly). Is it also specific to a certain office document? You can try
    write out a very simple word or excel document to see whether the problem
    occurs.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Peter" <>

    <>
    <>
    <>

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], May 2, 2008
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I've used iframe instead and it works fine.

    string officeDocScript = "<div>"
    + "<iframe width=\"75%\" height=\"55%\" name=\"fframe\" src=\"" +
    filePath + "\">"
    + "<embed src=\"" + filePath + "\">"
    + "</iframe></div>";

    Peter, May 2, 2008