Open Word Document from SQL Server and Save back again

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jude_44, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Jude_44

    Jude_44 Guest

    Hi there

    I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
    Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again, where
    it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.

    Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow users
    to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
    the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.

    Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
    Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using almost
    any version of Word?

    Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

    Thanks
    Dave

    Jude_44, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Why can't you just install WSS

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Feb 20, 2008

  3. "Jude_44" <> wrote in message

    > Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
    > Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
    > almost
    > any version of Word?

    Why don't you just use SharePoint - this is one of the requirements for
    which it was specifically designed...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 20, 2008
  4. Jude_44

    Jude_44 Guest

    Yep, I had considered that; essentially it seems like a large amount of work.
    Also, security is maintained based on specific workflow conditions, roles
    and many other limitations all handled within my existing ASP.NET application
    etc, and I have an existing checkin/checkout structure in place as well as
    specific behind-the-scenes functionality tied to checkins/checkouts and
    actual Sending of any document. To shift it all over to Sharepoint would be a
    large amount of work, and would make it far more complex to handle and give a
    larger attack surface for the app.
    Very specific rights would be applixcable to each version of each document,
    and to try and implement this in Sharepoint with all the above seems like a
    large task.
    If Sharepoint is the only means of accomplishing this, then so-be-it, I can
    keep in mind for later versions of the application, but theres not enough
    time to attempt that for our current release schedule. I was hoping there was
    some means of simply getting the in-memory binary of the doc at save-time and
    saving it back to SQL directly, in the same way as I do it at the moment at
    document generation time on the server.

    Thanks for your suggestion; if anyone else has any other ideas to add, I am
    again happy to hear :)

    Thanks
    Dave

    Jude_44, Feb 20, 2008
  5. "Jude_44" <> wrote in message

    >> > Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
    >> > Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using
    >> > almost any version of Word?

    >> Why don't you just use SharePoint - this is one of the requirements for
    >> which it was specifically designed...

    > If Sharepoint is the only means of accomplishing this, then so-be-it, I
    > can
    > keep in mind for later versions of the application, but theres not enough
    > time to attempt that for our current release schedule. I was hoping there
    > was
    > some means of simply getting the in-memory binary of the doc at save-time
    > and
    > saving it back to SQL directly, in the same way as I do it at the moment
    > at
    > document generation time on the server.

    I wouldn't say that Sharepoint would be the only way of achieving what you
    want but, from my experience with it, I'd say that it would be much less
    work than trying to roll your own...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 20, 2008
  6. Jude_44

    bruce barker Guest

    word uses webdav to talk to sharepoint. this is an open standard and you can
    can write a webdav frontend to your sqlserver. sourceforge has a starter kit.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 20, 2008
  7. Jude_44

    siccolo Guest

    On Feb 20, 6:26 am, Jude_44 <> wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I currently have a site that stores versions of Word and Excel docs in SQL
    > Server. User can Download the file, edit it and then Upload it again, where
    > it is stored in SQL Server DB as a new Version.
    >
    > Following complaints from users, we need to look into options to allow users
    > to open the word doc from SQL, and then when Save is clicked it would save
    > the updated document from memory back to SQL Server.
    >
    > Is there any way to accomplish this (Essentially along the lines of
    > Sharepoint's functionality) in ASP.NET, assuming users could be using almost
    > any version of Word?
    >
    > Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server ( look under
    sp_OACreate and others in Books Online).
    see my articles http://www.siccolo.com/Articles/SQLScripts/how-to-create-sql-to-convert-Excel_to_table.html
    and http://www.siccolo.com/articles/cod...e/how-to-print-from-sql-stored_procedure.html

    HTH

    siccolo, Feb 20, 2008
  8. "siccolo" <> wrote in message

    > Well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server

    How would that help in ASP.NET...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Feb 20, 2008
  9. Jude_44

    siccolo Guest

    On Feb 20, 2:14 pm, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > "siccolo" <> wrote in message

    > > Well, you can use OLE Automation in SQL Server

    > How would that help in ASP.NET...?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

    hmmm... the original title is "Open Word Document from SQL Server and
    Save back again Options "...that's why I suggested SQL Server OLE
    automation...sorry if I mislead author...

    ... more at http://www.siccolo.com/articles.asp ...

    siccolo, Feb 22, 2008